Thread: Lancaster nd562 12 sq, downed march 31 1944 (nurember raid) information/help

Thanks

Default Lancaster nd562 12 sq, downed march 31 1944 (nurember raid) information/help

First off I am new to this forum and any assistance which can be provided is of great help. Already I have made contact with someone who is assisting and has opened up amazing information, what a great help this site is and to its founders many thanks.

My uncle Jack McInnes and crew were shot down during the Nuremberg Raid of March 31 1944. 12 Squadron Wickenby, Aircraft ND562 PH-D.

Already I have had a great help on here in determining that the plane was shot down near Holzheim, 8th one to be downed likely by a German Fighter. Crew were buried together then moved to the Rheinberg war memorial after the war.

I am looking for assistance in determining an exact location of the aircrafts crash site and the German fighter that downed it. I understand this information is extremely hard to come by, but if anyone has links to or contact with someone who may be able to help your assistance is greatly appreciated. I am also looking for a photo of a Lancaster with PH-D on the side, may not be his plane but would love to frame one.

I have photos, medals, documents but still missing these key pieces of information. Anyone interested in Jack or crew around him feel free to send me a message. Jack had two brothers who served. Art who flew Halifax's for the 432 Squadron also a DFC recipient and Horace (Babe) who served in the Infantry. Any help with these other two brothers would be again greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading and if anyone requires information that I may be able to pass along also photos etc. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

Hi
    This is probably old news but has anyone drawn your attention to the book "The Nuremburg Raid" by Martin Middlebrook published in 1973 with several reprints in later years by Penguin? It is a very comprehensive description and analysis of the raid and should be available secondhand.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi,
    According to Chorley's book on Bomber Command losses this aircraft came down 1 km north of the village of Holzheim, 4 kms SE of Mechernich. According to Theo Boiten's book on the Nachtjagd War Diaries Vol I they were shot down by by Hptm Gerhard Raht of 4./NJG3 for his 30 victory. Gerhard Raht survived the war with a total of 60 victories.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hello

I'd just like to draw reader's attention to this thread -
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...cInnes-Gerelli

and add a bit more detail.

ND562's crew were buried on the 1st of April 1944, with the initial location being Holzheim Municipal Cemetery.
    The parents of P/O Cotton Minchin lived in Kansas City, Missouri USA.

F/L Alistair John Cook Pilot
    P/O C.H.Cotton Minchin Second Pilot
    Sgt Kenneth Launcelot Summerscale Flight Engineer
    WO2 Maurice Rene Nicolas Mouchet RCAF Navigator
    W/O Robert Timperley Air Bomber
    W/O Bernard Salt Wireless Operator
    P/O Jack Ernest McInnes RCAF Air Gunner
    Son of Arthur and Hettie E. McInnes, of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    F/S Richard Frederick Bayley Air Gunner

Information from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and RAF Bomber Command Losses volume 5 1944 by WR Chorley (Midland)

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Hi,

Here's the claim details for ND562:

Hptm. Gerhard Raht: 29 4./NJG3 4-mot SW Bonn, area FF Ida: 5.000 m. 00.26 12 Sqn Lancaster ND562

I'd be very interested in a scan of a crew picture, and if possible also a copy of a photo of the Lancaster, for publication in the 2nd edition of my book project The Nachtjagd War Diaries, due out in 2015.

If this would be possible, please send me a PM & I'll pass you my private email address.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Default Crew Photo

Hi Theo

The only crew photos that I'm aware of are of the the crew of Flt Sgt/ Warrant Officer Harry Tuck.
    Summerscale, Timperley and McInnes were part of that crew but moved to Flt Lt Cook's crew around the middle of March 44.
    Could be unlikely that a photo of an 'odd bod' crew was taken during this short time.

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Hi
    I am researching the 2nd pilot, C H Cotton Minchin as he is commemorated on my village war memorial here in Buckland, Surrey, UK. Sadly it was his first operation.
    I visited Holzheim last 12, 13th April 2013 and went to the exact crash site. We were much assisted by a couple of local chaps with interest in such sites. In the open fields we found many bits of Lancaster, some of which are in Wickenby museum now. We also met two 80 year old villagers who had 'witnessed' the event as 10 year olds and went up the hill next morning as boys do. One has been working those fields ever since and had a bucket of bits too.
    I was in contact with C H C M's sister, but she is very old now and disabled and lives in the south of France.
    I have photos of my man if you want to PM me and of the crash site as now. And their graves/headstones at Rheinberg.
    The name of the man who shot them down is news to me. Thank you Theo. Was Hpt Raht using the 'schrage musik' guns?

James

Thanks

Hi there, (ACBlaker)
    just read the start of your thread and my Uncle Bernard Salt was also shot down during the Nuremberg Raid of March 31 1944. 12 Squadron Wickenby, Aircraft ND562 PH-D.
    Bernard also had two brothers who served Francis Charles (Frank) 156 Squadron and Sid.
    I have just included some information in another thread:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...cInnes-Gerelli
    I hope some of this helps.
    On a recent visit to the museum at RAF Wickenby, the curator was able to show us fragments of the Lancaster recently returned from Germany, unfortunately I don't seem to be able to attach the photo of these without making a mess of the thread! Sorry.
    Further information may also be found on the Aircrew Remembered Website
    http://www.aircrewremembered.com/cook-alistair.html
    This also includes a photograph of the three brothers, I don't suppose you have any photographs of your Uncle's time at RAF Wickenby?
    Anyway, I hope this is of some assistance.
    Kind Regards
    Martin Brown