Thread: Four Halifax losses 51, 77 & 78 Sqn 31.8.-1.9.1943 Berlin raid

Thanks

Default Four Halifax losses 51, 77 & 78 Sqn 31.8.-1.9.1943 Berlin raid

Dear all,

Today, I have been working on the new narrative plus German Nachtjagd & Flak claims listings for the Berlin raid of 31 August - 1 September 1943, for the NJWD 2nd edition. To be able to complete the work on this night, I need any info on the following four Halifax losses (I already have the crew details), especially on the crash locations, cause of loss & time of loss:

51 Squadron Halifax HR931

51 Squadron Halifax JN902

77 Squadron Halifax JB851

78 Squadron Halifax JD328

Cheers and thanks for any info!

Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo,

Sorry to post here, but cannot find a "live" thread for a question you asked some years ago and must have been "cached". You were asking about the Halifax MZ359 Squadron 77 loss on November 28th, 1944. My grandpa was the navigator for this sortie. I have a picture of his log book for this. Please let me know if I can help provide information on this. He received the DFC for this flight.

Thanks

Theo

J78 Sqn Halifax JD328 EY-O left Breighton at 2001. The ORB entry simply lists the aircraft as Missing. Two crew are listed as missing on the Runnymede Memorial whilst one lies in the Berlin '39-'45 War Cemetery. The other four all became POW

Tony

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for posting about your grandfather's Halifax MZ359, I would like to exchange information with you about this, please contact me by PM, OK?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo,

Your post was a long time ago and perhaps no longer active but I've just come across this site.

HR931: Jack watson was flight engineer and would have been my uncle (I was born in 1957)

My father spoke to Tom Nelson - one of three survivors.

The aircraft had turned for home but was engaged by a night fighter. It came down on a military airfield near Doeberitz. Three managed to bail out. Two were captured immediately. TN was on the run for a few days before becoming a PoW and re-united with the others. They told him they had removed and buried the three bodies the next morning. After the war the area was controlled by the Soviets but the bodies were eventually moved to Berlin War cemetery. Two Canadians, Broodgeest and Murray, have named graves but Jack was unidentified.

My father and I visited Berlin on the 70th anniversary. We stumbled across an airfield by chance while walking around Doeberitz. This turned out to be Staaken - the Zeppelin terminus for Berlin between the wars before being taken over by the Luftwaffe. I would love to know exactly where the plane came down and if it was Staaken.

howard

Thanks

Hi Howard,

welcome aboard!
    I am not able to give you the exact location of the crash but if you wpould contact me via e-mail I will be able to send you some bits and pieces aboiut this case.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello Howard,

Berlin itself was ringed by airfields during the war as well as the main airfield at Tempelhof. I suggest you take a look at the following website:

http://www.ww2.dk/lwairfields.html

Click on - Germany [1937 borders]. then use a Control+F search with Berlin-.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st April 2019 at 01:50.