Thread: Hudson N7316 16.8.1940 220 Sqn

Thanks

Default Hudson N7316 16.8.1940 220 Sqn

Does anyone have the AM 1180 photocopies or any other detailed additional info from TNA records about the failure please? Ross has engine failure.

Hudson N7316 of 220 Squadron 16.8.1940 at Thornaby Vale.

S/Ldr Douglas Wykeham Lydall 28091
    P/O J. T. Wardlaw 42920

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 22nd November 2013 at 21:02.

Thanks

Hi Mark,

A-B RAF serials book - based mostly on AM 1180 and AM 78 has:

Engine cut, after take off, crashlanded, Thornaby, 16.8.40

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Mark,

As per Ross and Pavel the Form 1180 merely notes 'Engine failure (shortly after take off)'.
    If you wish contact me offline.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Thanks Martin

Tried to PM, but unfortunately you have exceeded your stored quota and cannot accept further messages until you clear some space. I cannot find your email registered.

Either that, or I have sent you the first four paragraphs of 'War and Peace' about queries which have come to light and uncovered in research amongst official docs questioning the cause of the Hudson at Eastleigh the previous day 15.8.40 and the message was a bit large.

A balloon cable was claimed to be struck at the end of the Eastleigh runway, but official local and RAF Balloon ORB records and numbered balloon site tracing indicate the balloon site was NOT at the end of the runway at all! The Hudson it seems had possibly already lost partial control during the ascent with a wide 180 circle left during the take-off procedure (wide circle left - eyewitnesses traced by the Coulson family of Canada), as though something had failed, then losing height in the wide turn and striking a cable while attempting to get to an open area (a/c by now going in the opposite direction to the take-off direction), when striking a house roof (house address known) near the balloon site (balloon site address given), which matches the numbered RAF balloon site tracing and balloon site number given in the Balloon Squadron ORB.

The post-war Air Registration Board it seems kept a general potted history (narrative) on a number of sheets folded and secured in the Cyclone 9 Manual dated 1940 which is in the TNA DR series.

I hope to PM later.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 23rd November 2013 at 10:53.