Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster ED328 -found in a German forest

Thanks

Default Lancaster ED328 -found in a German forest

I noticed a write up "In Brief " section in today's Telegraph, page 16 [23rd Nov .2013] and no doubt in other newspapers that a search is being conducted for families of some of the crew of this Lancaster, found in a German forest .Ianh ,the nephew of one of the crew, is a member of this forum .
    I would be very interested to know if relatives of 2 British crew and 2 Australian crew had been found ?

Sometimes these newspaper articles are out of date or the facts are wrong but I'm always interested in WW2 plane wreckage being recently found because of my still MIA RAAF father and the other 5 SAAF and 2 RAF crew ,in 31 sqdn. SAAF Liberator KH158, probably somewhere in or off Italy .

Anne

Thanks

Dave Champion, aka "Alieneyes" on this forum, is the 101 Squadron Association Historian - perhaps he has been involved in tracing any surviving family of the crew you mention. That said, I haven't seen him on here for a while, has anyone had any contact with him recently?
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

I was in contact with Dave a month or so ago so he's certainly "still around." I'll email him to give him a nudge!
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Hi

I am the nephew of Sgt JH Phillips RAFVR, he was the Mid Gunner on ED328 SR-S. I started the hunt for the crash site, and with the help of the LAO based at Finowfurt Aviation Museum nr Berlin we managed to find a local eye witness Dr Hans Richter who guided the team to the exact site. After searching the site in June of this year many parts were found and confirmation from Dr Richter who's father was involved in the removal and burial of the bodies at the time confirmed that one of the bodies was that of F/Sgt EJ Phillips RAAF who was the tail gunner. He was officially identified at the time, as he was the only crew member not to be severely burned. The Museum has a fitting exhibition dedicated to crew and they are trying to get permission for a permanent memorial placed at the site of the main part of the plane.
    I visited a few weeks ago and it was still possible to pick up parts of the plane from the forest floor, this was a very emotional experience and I thank the dedication of the LAO historic air crash investigation team.

Ian Hill
    Nephew of Sgt JH Phillips RAFVR

Thanks

Ian ,Max and Greg
    Thanks for response .
    Ian, I wondered if all the relatives had been found ?
    I've been involved in commemorations for 2 x 31 Sqdn SAAF Liberators [each with 8 crew] which crashed in the Italian Alps near Valprato Soana [KG875] and above Cantalupa on Mt Friedour ,Piedmonte [ KH239 ]on 12th October 1944 .
    Parts of the planes keep being found especially after the snows have melted and the ground is softer .This September some pieces , just found ,of KH239 were given to the niece of the Australian pilot and a large piece from KG875 , again recently found ,was made into a memorial monument in July this year .
    Anne

Thanks

Default Halifax HR980

Hallo,

Ich bin der Boss der LAO in Finowfurt.
    Wir haben die Lancaster ED 328 gefunden.
    Wir haben ein neues Projekt.
    Wir suchen alle Informationen über die Halifax HR 980, sie ist in Reiersdorf abgestürzt.
    Wir wollen das Wrack bergen um die Besatzung zu beerdigen.
    Wir wissen wo das Wrack liegt.
    Leider fehlen uns die finanziellen Mittel um das Wrack zu heben.
    Wer kann helfen ?????????????

Mfg
    LAO

Translated from Google

I'm the boss of the LAO in Finowfurt.
    We have the Lancaster ED 328 found.
    We have a new project.
    We are looking for all information about the Halifax HR 980, it crashed in Reier village.
    We want the wreck salvage to bury the crew.
    We know where the wreck lies.
    Unfortunately we lack the financial means to raise the wreck.
    Who can help?????
    Last edited by Jagan; 31st December 2013 at 15:48. Reason: Please use translate.google.com for converting non-english phrases

Thanks

Hi,
    Handley Page Halifax Mk II HR 980, NP-E, was lost on a raid on Berlin, 23/24th August 1943.It belonged to No.158 Squadron RAF.
    The crew were;
    Flight Sergeant W A Burgum, RAAF
    Sergeant R Hill, RAF
    Sergeant P L Buck, RAF
    Sergeant D R Hempstock, RAF
    Flight Sergeant G R Harrison, RCAF
    Sergeant A Cox, RAF
    Flight Sergeant H C Harber, RAAF.
    The last two on the above list are buried in the Berlin 1939-1945 War Cemetery,
    the remaining five have no known grave and may still be with the wreck of the aircraft.
    Many Thanks to the LAO in Finowfurt for caring enough to make enquiries about this aircraft and its crew.

Thanks

Hello Bill

"Handley Page Halifax Mk II HR 980, NP-E, was lost on a raid on Berlin, 23/24th August 1943.It belonged to No.158 Squadron RAF."

Do you know about this German website with English translation about HR980 and fate of crew?

http://www.bomber-command.de/hr980a.html

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Thanks for that Finn, I didn't know about it.
    Happy New Year,
    Regards,
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi

Most of the families of the crew have been found we are still searching for the family of Sgt Ellis from South Wales.

I am also involved with Christian from The LAO who found ED328 with Halifax HR980. I am trying to get the MOD to fund the excavation as we are certain that 5 of the crew are still on board. you may have seen it in the papers. If anyone can help with the MOD or knows somewhere who may fund the work please let me know

Ian