Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leipzig 20/10/43

Thanks

Default Leipzig 20/10/43

Hello all, I am trying to find as much info as possible about the raid on Leipzig on 20/10/43.
    After a long web search, this site came up with the most info which has been extremely helpful.

I am wondering if only Lancasters took place on this raid and also if any other raids (other than any special ops) were on this night ? Were any Halifax squadrons flying on raids the same evening ?
    So far I can only find details of Lancasters which ties in but wanted to clarify that no Halifaxes were on other raids over Holland, France or Germany the same night.
    Also any other info on the Leipzig raid, no matter how small you may feel it is, would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Hi Peakfrean, BC ORB records Leipzig as a Lancaster-only affair, 358 Lancs (1 Gp 104; 3 Gp 13; 5 Gp 140, 6 Gp 28; PFF 73). 15 Lancs missing (1 Gp - 625/1, 100/1, 103/1, 166/2; 3 Gp - 115/1; 5 Gp - 619/1, 57/1, 106/1; PFF - 405/1, 7/2, 83/2, 97/1).

In addition, 28 Mosquitoes operated from PFF - Berlin (9); Emden (5); Brauweiler (5); Knapsack (9). 139 Sqn lost 2 Mosquitoes, both on Berlin.

There were 12 Gardening sorties by 3 Group's Stirlings, and Nickelling ops by 24 Wellingtons and 2 Whitleys (91 Gp 7 Wels, 92 Group 8 Wels, 93 Gp 9 Wels, 2 Whits), all without loss.

A 44 Sqn Lancaster also ditched off Grimsby - 5 of the crew were rescued.

HTH,

Richard

Thanks

To underline the detail posted by Richard the attached link will take you to the BC Intel report for the night.

http://www.rafaircraftaccidents.com/AIR14_3375.pdf

Part of AIR14/3375 and is copyright of The National Archives

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 23rd November 2013 at 18:34.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Gentlemen, you have no idea just how helpful you have both been. With a bit more research I will hopefully be able to post some results regarding one aircraft in the very near future.
    Just to clarify, there were no Halifaxes flying on op's that night ?

Thanks

Hi Peakfrean - BC ORB is clear that no Halibags were operating.

Thanks

Once again, thank you so very much for such clear and concise information.
    It will really help my research.

Any other info on the raid, be it German N/F info, individual bomber crew stories, reports etc, even weather or problems, sightings etc will be most welcome.

Thanks

Hello all once more,
    From the help you gave me when I first started this thread, I have been gathering info on the night in question. There was another thread on this forum a while back regarding this raid and one incident in particular. One of the 625 sqn Lancasters, piloted by Sgt. JD Aspin, made a claim of shooting down a ME110 as they crossed Texel.
    Do any of you know if there were in fact any German losses that night in that area ? I know which Lancs were lost but can't find a record of a German loss.
    All help, as ever, gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

I have found an entry in my husbands log book which may interest you.LH Tolchard 20.10.1943. Self. And crew. OPS Leipzig. Early return Landed Graveley. 2.35 hrs. No reason given for early return but usually it was Special Y US.This is the second attempt to send my message.
    Magda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magda View Post
    I have found an entry in my husbands log book which may interest you.LH Tolchard 20.10.1943. Self. And crew. OPS Leipzig. Early return Landed Graveley. 2.35 hrs. No reason given for early return but usually it was Special Y US.This is the second attempt to send my message.
    Magda
    Hi Magda, That's interesting. I will send you a PM tomorrow to see what else we can find out.
    Thank you.

Thanks

PM me with your email address and i'll send the BC Raid Report for this op.