Thread: 440305 - Unaccounted Airmen - 5-3-1944

Thanks

Default 440305 - Unaccounted Airmen - 5-3-1944

Hello,

440305 - Unaccounted Airmen - 5-3-1944

From Henk's list -

ALGERIA
    WARREN, Joseph - Sgt - 635056 - RAF - Dely Ibrahim, Algeria.

Republic of IRELAND
    NAGLE, Michael - AC2c - 1901145 - RAFVR - Swords (St. Columcille), County Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
    ROE, Dermot William - AC2c - 2225769 - RAFVR - Mount Jerome, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland.

UK
    CHARLES, Richard Brian - F/O - 123477 - RAFVR - 220 Sqdn - Enfield (Hertford Road), Middlesex.

From CWGC & Geoff's sites -

UK
    ACKERMAN, Oscar George - F/S (WoP/A/G) - 1381575 - RAFVR - St. Brides-Super-Ely, Glamorganshire.
    ARNOLD, James William Roy - Sgt(Pilot) - 1322379 - RAFVR - Plymouth (Weston Mill), Devon.
    BULL, John - Sgt - 750482 - RAFVR - Runnymede memorial, Surrey.
    COX, Raymond Charles - Sgt - 1395173 - RAFVR - Runnymede Memorial, Surrey.
    EVANS, Evan John - F/S (Pilot) - 1577104 - RAFVR - Tredegar (Dukestown), Monmouthshire.
    MUDDELL, Walter Howard - Sgt(Pilot) - 1238712 - RAFVR - Patcham (All Saints), Sussex.
    PRENTICE, Charles Frank - Sgt (Pilot) - 1393064 - Ipswich Old, Suffolk.
    PRIOR, Noel Victor - Sgt (Pilot) - 1600319 - RAFVR - Claygate (Holy Trinity ), Surrey.
    ROPER, Leonard - W/O (WoP/A/G) - 1360353 - RAFVR - Ashton-Under- Lyne (Hurst), Lancashire.

ZIMBABWE
    EDMONDS, Albert William - LAC - 1257636 - RAFVR - Gweru, Zimbabwe.
    MASON, Ronald Henry - P/O (Pilot) - 146911 - Gweru, Zimbabwe.

Alex

Thanks

The following is from the No.1 SPTU ORB, stationed at Cark,

March 5th 1944, “Ansons EG592 and EG231 crashed in the Irish Sea. Seven occupants 4 killed, 1381575 F/Sgt Ackerman, O.G. Wop/Air. 1238712 Sgt Muddell, W.H. Pilot. 1600319 Sgt Prior N.V. Pilot. 1360353 W.O. Roper, L. Wop/Air. 3 missing believed killed 750482 Sgt Bull, J. Pilot. 1395173 Sgt Cox R.C. Pilot. 1393064 Sgt Prentice, C.F. Pilot.”

Some of the bodies were recovered to No.4 (O)AFU at West Freugh

March 5th 1944, “Three bodies of the crews of aircraft from RAF Station Cark were picked up by 64 ASR Base and brought to this unit. They were subsequently sent to their next of kin for private internment.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi

ALGERIA
    WARREN, Joseph - Sgt - serving at Algiers.

Republic of IRELAND
    NAGLE, Michael - AC2 - registered a Fylde.
    ROE, Dermot William - AC2 - serving at No 3 Recruit Depot.

UK
    CHARLES, Richard Brian - F/O - registered in Edmonton.
    ARNOLD, James William Roy - Sgt(Pilot) - possibly killed whilst flying in Tiger Moth II, T6299 of No 28 EFTS, which dived into the ground near Bishops Wood in Staffordshire.
    EVANS, Evan John - F/S (Pilot) - possibly Tiger Moth II, T6299 of No 28 EFTS.

ZIMBABWE
    EDMONDS, Albert William - LAC - probably killed whilst flying in Harvard I, N7167 of No 22 SFTS, which crashed at Selukwe in Southern Rhodesia.
    MASON, Ronald Henry - P/O (Pilot) - Harvard I, N7167 of No 22 SFTS.

Malcolm

Thanks

Dermot William ROE's death is registered at home in Dublin in Rathdown district, aged 42.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Cant find a post

Hi
    I am currently researching the History of the area I lived during the war. This area included Bishops Wood Staffordshire during a search for Aircraft accidents in that area I came across a post in missing Airmen relating to an aircraft that crashed in Bishops Wood giving indications that one of the crew members was from Edmonton Canada. It may not be connected but my sister who worked at a farm adjacent to Bishops wood came across an Injured Airman sitting in the farm kitchen He was a Canadian she ran three miles to the nearest phone he was picked up she believes by RAF medics from Tern Hill could this be connected?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Is this the thread you mean?
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...t=Bishops+Wood

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi Malcolm
    If this Aircraft was in accident in Bishops Wood it may well be the Airman involved FO Richard Charles was the individual that my sister came across in the Kitchen of a farm she worked on during the war adjacent to the Wood. He was a Canadian who was injured she found sitting in a chair late afternoon circa 1942/3> She had to run some three miles to the next farm who had a telephone> He was picked up by RAF Medics from RAF Tern Hill she never heard what happened to him or what A/C type he was in>

Thanks

The Flying Officer Richard Brian Charles mentioned above is listed on the CWGC here
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...ICHARD%20BRIAN

he had connections to Chile in particular, cannot see anything related to Canada.

his is listed on RAF Casualty lists as having Died on Active Service so that would imply he was not involved in a flying accident, and that he died from natural causes, and not from wounds.

i think the man you mean to mention who your sister found would be James W R Arnold. His death is registered in Cannock district, Staffordshire.

CWGC records just released confirm his unit as 28 EFTS
    Do you think then that he managed to crawl from the aricraft injured to the building?

he is listed on casualty lists as Killed on active service
    https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarch...%20R.%20Arnold

Even a matter of a fwe hours makes the difference of being classified
    "Killed on active service" as opposed to "Died of wounds received on active service."
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...0WILLIAM%20ROY

Again no obvious Canadian connection. Might there have been a passenger that survived?

Reading you mail again, i see what your asking, was 'Richard Charles' involved in an earlier incident.

How does the Canadian connection come about.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks for your reply> My Sister was about thirteen at the time sand was some what frightened at the time> She remembers finding this Airman sitting in a chair she does not know how he got there> She said he was obviously injured with blood on his face> She ran from the farm to get help and she never saw the Guy again.I will see her soon and see if she can put a better date on the incident.