Thread: RNZAF casualty records

Thanks

Default RNZAF casualty records

Hello, is it possible please to obtain RNZAF casualty records online similar to the Australian A705 archived series ?

Thanks

What you need are the three volumes of Errol W Martyn's "For Your Tomorrow"! The works are exceptionally detailed and provide all you are likely to need in one - well actually three - places. Whilst not online as far as I know, obtaining the volumes in hard copy has a shed load of advantages over a computer database IMHO.

Others will tell you about these and Errol posts on this forum and so can comment himself.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, but it is a casualty file

like the Australian National Archive A705 series for one specific airman ( an RAF relative's pilot ) that I would like to know if it is possible to obtain as I have searched the NZ archives online and got nowhere

Thanks

jonheyworth,

It might help me to answer your query if you were to advise some basic details of the event you are researching - name, date, place, etc.

Errol

Thanks

Default Hello

Thanks for the reply,

It's the loss of the Mackenzie crew on 218 squadron, S/D in PD278 HA-Victor on the night of the 7/8-3-45 on the way back from Dessau, crashing at Marisfeld.

My father's cousin was the F/E and knowing the info you can get from the Aussie Archives via the online A705 series files, I was wondering if the same thing was available through the NZ archives online.

I have searched myself, but had no luck, which may be down to my ludditism

Thanks

Errol's three volumns cover all that I believe you are requiring. Errol himself is always helpful and ready to answer the individual enquiries.

These three volumns cover fate of all NZ airmen from 1918 to 1998 and are invaluable, Errols work in writing them up is so worthwhile to us researchers.
    Cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

Hello and thanks for taking the time to reply,

I know most details about the crew's history and fate, much of which is on the web, some written by myself, all I am curious about now is if there is a facility to view F/L Mackenzie's file via NZ online archives as you could via the Aussie online archives if his A705 SERIES FILE HAD BEEN DIGITISED, as the rest of the crew, including my Father's cousin were RAF, and you cannot get these files from the UK for RAF personnel and if F/L Mackenzie's file is available it will have the same info after their loss as the RAF crew members would have

Thanks

Briefly, the RAAF and RNZAF filing systems differ: RAAF - two files, one the service record the other the casualty record. RNZAF - the one file contains both.

RNZAF files are not online or digitised. You can, however, request a free photocopy of papers that survive on Mackenzies file. See here for details:
    http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/personnel-records/nzdf-archives/

You do not say whereabouts on the web we may view the history and fate of PD278 and its crew.

Errol

Thanks

Hello Again,

Thanks for the response, always appreciated.

That was very helpful, a negative positive in a way ! I shall have to write off, I am curious as to the final details of how and when they were moved to Berlin in 1950 and any MRES report as it is in the Russian zone. All I have is the infor that they were moved to Berlin in 1950 and a notation for the Russian Area Commander ordering the maintenance of Allied War Graves.

There is no specific PD278 site, but if you google : " Lancaster PD278 Marisfeld " then quite a bit comes up. I went to Onehunga ( and MOTAT to see the NZ Lanc ) where Mackenzie came from as part of my research years ago.