Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 Squadron loss - 15/03/1944

Thanks

Default 357 Squadron loss - 15/03/1944

That's great information from Hugh. My file on the AM949 loss and its aftermath just doubled. Thanks for your input, Hugh, and I'm glad I could add my bits. Good luck to you, Mike, on your worthy project.

Matt

asturley Guest

Default 357 Squadron loss

I've only just come across this website today, so forgive any misunderstanding on my part.

I note that Mike (Sniper) asks about other info' re the pilot, Flt.Lt. James Albert King. I know that Jimmy finished the war with DSO*, DFC**, AFC. I knew him during part of what I think was his last tour in the RAF before retirement at RAF Kinloss c.1958/59. At the time I was Admin.Wing Adj & temp Station Adj: Jimmy was Families Officer.

Our Station Commander at the time was Group Capt Jeff Greswell and Wg.Cdr Mick Ensor (both DSO & DFC recipients) was also resident. But Jimmy, then the most senior Flt.Lt. in the RAF, was someone special and everyone, including visiting Air Officers, made a point of paying their respects to him. Jimmy was quiet, charming and unassuming and like most other highly decorated men that I had the honour to meet, would never talk about his war service.

Just recently, in reply to my enquiries of the RAF Museum, I have been told that there are references to Jimmy in Robert Jackson's "The secret squadrons: Special duty units of the RAF and USAAF in the Second World War" and in Kenneth Merrick's "Flights of the forgotten: Special duties operations in World War Two".