Thread: No. 16 Squadron RAF, Navigator, 1945, Charles Herbert

Thanks

Default No. 16 Squadron RAF, Navigator, 1945, Charles Herbert

My late father Charles MacKenzie Herbert (N.Z. 4211709) was in the RNZAF during World War II and trained as a navigator in Canada in 1943-44. He was in the RAFTP pool from 19/07/44, and went to England soon afterwards.
    -My father told me his role was 'searching for German submarines over the English Channel'
    -I have an RAF group photograph of him at St Andrew's University, March 1945. It is No.15 course A.C.O.S. and the caption beneath is: D Wing 16 Squadron A Flight. The men's names listed show 29 P/O or F/O (approx. 13 of these are New Zealanders); also a Sergeant Pettit, a F/Lt Hughes and a F/L Eberii.
    -My father's service records don't enlighten me any further.
    I want to find:
    -information about what he (or others in his role) did while in the RAF, e.g. what he would have done on a typical flight
    -what sort of aircraft they would have flown in
    -any museum or library where I might consult log books or other relevant materials (I am coming to the UK in 2014).
    Thank-you.

Thanks

Hi

You could become confused here, the 16 Sqn referred to is not No 16 Sqn RAF, it is a subordinate part of D Wing of the Air Crew Officer's School at St Andrews.

He couldn't have been a navigator with No 16 Sqn as it operated single seat Spitfires on tactical recce missions not anti-submarine patrols, what other entries are on his record?

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

By "My father's service records", do you mean a copy of his RNZAF service record as held by the Personnel Records section of the New Zealand Defence Force at Trentham? If so I might be able to help if you were to copy the posting form(s) to me at errol DOT martyn ATT xtra DOT co DOT nz

Errol

Thanks

Thank you very much for your replies Malcolm and Errol, and for the clarification about 16 Sqn (yes, I had become confused).
    His RNZAF service record (as held by Personnel Records of NZ Defence Force at Trentham) includes nothing about his time in England. The 'Certificate of Service/Movements and casualties' ends when he was awarded his Nav(B) badge; and then moved to RAFTP on 19-7-44.
    I'm not sure where to go from here. If I can't find specific information about Charles Herbert, I'd be happy to find information about other navigators on the anti-submarine patrols -- their duties on typical flights. Thank-you