Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What and where was '29 LC Sqn'

Thanks

Default What and where was '29 LC Sqn'

Hi all,

I am trying to decipher a notation on an RAF service file from mid-1918 that has me stumped. My man was apparently tagged for posting to "29 LC Sqn" after a spell on the reserve list due to illness. He was coming from 41 Sqn RD, which I assume stood for Reserve Division.

Can anyone tell me what the LC stood for and where this unit might have been?
    David

Thanks

A long shot, but is it possible your man spent some time in the Army? In Cavalry units in the British Empire companies were often known as squadrons.

Thanks

Hi Bill,

Thanks, that's what Nick at C&C forum suggested, but, no, he went straight into the RAF in Canada as a cadet and was on the usual training cycle as a fighter pilot. No time in any other service.
    David

Thanks

Was your man still in Canada at the time? The RAF in Canada used its own numbering system for units, there may have been a 29 Squadron in Canada that had no relation to 29 Squadron in the UK.

Thanks

Shame, but Canada did not have a 29 Squadron.

Thanks

What about posting this question on the GREAT WAR FORUM ?

Ian

Thanks

Thanks guys, I will try Great War forum next, after one of the Cross & Cockade chaps has a look at the file image.

He was definitely in the UK and had come from No. 2 Fighting School at Marske. He was hospitalized in the UK too.
    David

Thanks

Could not be "Light Cruiser Squadron" could it ? Was there ever a 29 Light Cruiser Squadron?

Thanks

29 Sq was on the Continent until August 1919, if that helps. 41 Sq was on the Continent until February 1919. I agree that this is a problem for the Great War people.

Thanks

Default 29 LC Squadron

Hello All

Light Cruiser crossed my mind too, but it is my understanding that Light Cruiser were Naval, although 29 (Fighter) Squadron were formed at Gosport on 7th November 1915.

RNAS [Royal Naval Air Service] Squadrons absorbed into the RAF were given the new Squadron number by adding 200, for example 1 RNAS Squadron became 201 Squadron RAF, according to "PRO Readers' Guide No 8 RAF Records in the PRO" by PRO Publications 1994 which also cites some AIR 1 references and other books.

Also RFC aircraft conducted 'spotter flights' along the opposition lines for the Army too and taking messages to units, but nothing seems to be in the "No. 29 (Fighter) Squadron" ORB about this. My memory is a bit poor but 'line communications' is coming to mind?

Have you tried checking the Royal Aero Club Index Card online for your person on one of the family history sites and downloading the card if he is listed?

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 5th December 2013 at 20:24.