Thread: Officer service numbers

Thanks

Default Officer service numbers

I've a sneaking feeling this has come up before, but I'd appreciate the experts views.

The LG dated 22 Mar 1938 has Sydney Leslie Portass being granted a commission as F/O in the GD Branch, Class BB. (No service number quoted)

LG dated 21 Nov 1939 has him being commissioned as a F/L with a service number of 75669, effective 14 Nov
    LG dated 28 Nov 1939 has him relinquishing his RAFO commission (service number 70891) on being granted a commission in the RAFVR, effective 14 Nov

His entry on the CWGC website correctly has him as RAFVR, but gives his service number as his RAFO number (70891).

Am I correct in thinking CWGC is incorrect in respect of the service number.

TIA
    Brian

Thanks

Brian, You're right we have discussed this RAFO/RAFVR number issue before. Herewith the LG and CWGC entries that I found:
    Air Ministry,
    22nd March, 1938.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE RESERVE.
    Reserve of Air Force Officers.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Sidney Leslie PORTASS is granted a commission as Flying Officer in class BB. 22nd Mar. 1938.

(Class BB = Direct entrant Technical Officers requiring current level of knowledge.)

Civil Service Commission,
    February 10, 1939.
    In pursuance of the Provisions of His Majesty's Order in Council of 22nd July, 1920, the Civil Service Commissioners hereby announce the undermentioned Appointments, Promotions, Transfers, etc. (including Assignments to the Clerical Class, etc.) for the months of December, 1938 and January, 1939, and Appointments made under the provisions of Clause 10 (A) and Clause 10 (D) of the General Regulations for the months of November and December, 1938.
    I.—CERTIFICATES ISSUED.
    January 10, 1939.
    UNDER CLAUSE 8 OF THE GENERAL REGULATIONS.
    Technical Officers in the Meteorological Office, Sidney Leslie Portass.

Air Ministry,
    21st November, 1939.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE RESERVE.
    Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    METEOROLOGICAL BRANCH.
    The undermentioned are granted commissions for the duration of hostilities as Flight Lieutenants. 14th Nov. 1939: —
    Sidney Leslie PORTASS (75669).

Air Ministry,
    28th November, 1939.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE RESERVE.
    RESERVE OF AIR FORCE OFFICERS.
    Flying Officer Sidney Leslie PORTASS (70891) relinquishes his commission on appointment to a commission in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 14th Nov. 1939

Name: PORTASS, SIDNEY LESLIE
    Initials: S L
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Date of Death: 22/06/1941
    Service No: 70891
    Additional information: Son of John William and Henrietta Blanch Portass, of Romford, Essex. B.A. (Cantab.).
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 28. Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

I think the use of the RAFO number is a mistake and that his number on the CWGC website should be his RAFVR number - 75669. Note the 18 month gap between relinquishing his RAFO commission and his death. I presume he was an A/SL as no LG springs up promoting him.
    Further info: From the The Times dated 7 Sep 33: S.L. Portass from Brockley County School was successful in the Higher Certificate issued by the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board. The same S.L. Portass was awarded a scholarship to St Catherine's College, Cambridge in Mar 34. Awarded a second class degree in Mathematics, Jun 37.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thank you Terry. The thing I find strange is the reference to a service number for a RAFO officer. I actually have a RAFO officer on my list of casualties, John Godbolt McCulloch, and he has no service number on the CWGC. His case was discussed a while ago and I recall there was some uncertainty as to whether or not RAFO officers had service numbers. Whatever, thanks for agreeing that the CWGC is probably in error.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Gents,

Oct 1940 Air Force List
    70891 Portass, S.L. FL(Met)VR 14.11.39

Pre war lists
    70891 Portass S.L. F/O, 22 March 1938 RAFO effective 22 March 1938.

I have found a correlation in the Service Numbers given in the Lists and Confidential List to those in the CWGC records.

Regards
    Ross