Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bomber Command Losses 5-6 June 1944

Looking at the ORBs of all the squadrons involved in the attack, most describe the cloud as stratus. The common thread seems to be 8 to 10 tenths cloud between 11,000' and 8,000' that was patchy below 9,000. Some aircraft reported no cloud and clear conditions but these tended to be the ones that were below 7,000', others reported a thin layer of cloud. Some icing was encountered at 8,500' and one bomb aimer's panel was iced up to the point he could not see clearly enough to bomb. One Lancaster from 467 Squadron went down to 3,000' to bomb at 04:57, as they had a film crew on board, their observation was "clear sky" The higher the level aircraft bombed at, it seems the more cloud they reported. 627 Squadron was backing up the Oboe marking, dive bombing from 4,000' down as low as 500' and they reported conditions as clear. The Oboe Mosquitos were operating at 30,000' and 18'000', marking at 04:46.50; 04:47.48 and 04:47.55. I interviewed one of the pilots in 2005 and he reported that at 04:47, seconds after marking from 30,000' the cloud was breaking up over the channel and they could see ships below through the breaks, as it was just at sunrise.
    Last edited by David Wallace; 6th December 2013 at 15:19. Reason: spelling

Sorry Brian,

Looking at Chorley cross-eyed.

He lists the No.50 Squadron Lanc as ND874 not the number I originally posted in error.

Regards
    Ross
    Restorer of Canberra PR.9 XH175 and 8249 (front runner at the moment) Anson Mk.II

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post

Unfortunately the 463 and 467 Sqn ORBs have disappeared from the Internet but they definitely gave cloud at between 9000 and 11000 FT.
    Hello

They are still available in the web archive :

https://web.archive.org/web/20110906...bsTimeLine.htm

Depending on the computer I use, I can access it or not, but from my home computer, it works !

Joss

Great - thank you, Joss. I hope this is not a stoopid question, but what is the "web archive" and how does one access it?

TIA
    Brian

Hello

Nothing totally disappear on the web, and some pages are still there somewhere. I don't know how it works, but it does ! I was frustrated by the same inability to access the 463 and 467 Squadron ORBs. I was only accessing some kind of commercial page, where I was turning around and getting nowhere, and a recent discussion on a french discussion board provided this URL, which I'm happy to share.

HTH

Joss

PS : our IT gurus might explain it much better than me, I'm sure.

50 Squadron aircraft was ND874, VN-R according to Chorley who also lists ND739, OF-Z as 97 Squadron. The other 97 Squadron Lanc was ND815, OF-G.
    Drop of the hard stuff sending the old eyes a bit skew-whiff Ross what? Never mind, done it more than once myself old boy, ha ha.

Hi All,

If you go to the Aussie archives and then go to the records search, and in keywords type in 463 Squadron history and then do the same for 467 you will find them there. Make sure you put in Squadron not Sqn.

Regards,

John.

Bill,

Does your source record if there were any survivors from ND874 or ND815? I'm in the process of translating the account of the German pilot, Oberleutnant Helmut Eberspacher, and he states he saw some parachutes.

The wreckage of ND739 was discovered in 2012 - see http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/image?q=...yword_rollover for photos - click on the second photo for the story (although each photo has an account of varying detail.)

Joss

Thanks for the explanation, most helpful.

Brian

Brian,
    Chorley states that Sgt. S K Reading, mid-upper gunner on ND874, evaded capture. He was the only survivor from the two aircraft you mention.

Much obliged Bill. His guardian angel must have been looking after him given the fighting on the ground, let alone being shot down.

Brian