Thread: Fairey Albacore

Thanks

Default Fairey Albacore

G'day Chaps

Slightly, well O.K. quite off topic.

I have a black and white photo of an Fairey Albacore s/n N4424. It carries the code 4K on it. For the life of me, I can not find the unit. I know this aircraft was assigned to the Royal Navy and seconded to R.A.F. Coastal Command for an unspecified period of time.

Any thoughts?

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

N4424 was coded 4K when serving with 826 Sq 1.42-8.42. During this time the unit served on HMS Formidable in the Med, until the ship was damaged in May 1941. It then movde to Dekhaila and various advanced bases in the desert, then Nicosia in Cyprus to operate against the French ships in Beirut in July, then returned to the desert on behalf of the 8th Army, including providing illumination for the 7th Cruiser Squadron to bombard coastal targets. Not Coastal Command as such.

Thanks

Default Albacore

G'day Graham

Many thanks for that lightning speed response. I checked all over the place including some old pubs (no not bars) from the 1950's and even Combat Codes but alas to no avail.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

For Fleet Air Arm questions you need the late Ray Sturtivant's publications for Air Britain, specifically (in this case) Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-45 (with Mick Burrow) and The Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm (with Theo Ballance). The unit code 4 simply tells you that it was a TSR squadron on a fleet carrier, but not which nor when.