Thread: Recruit Wings and Recruit Centres

Thanks

Default Recruit Wings and Recruit Centres

I have a trainee who was posted to No. 9 Recruit Centre at Blackpool on 10th Feb 1941, and then to No. 1 Recruit Wing on 27th April 1941. I've not found a location for the latter. Was this a 'unit' or formation within No. 9 Recruit Centre, or somewhere else?

The then moved to No. 12 Initial Training Wing at St Andrews. I can only find St Andrews in Scotland, is this correct? Doesn't seem so to me..

Thanks

Hi

There is no listing of a No 1 Recruit Wing as an independent unit so I suspect it was part of 9 RC.

12 ITW was located at The New Golf Club, St Andrews, Fife

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi,
    The set-up at RAF Hednesford (11 SofRT in the early 50’s) was that it was an Independent Station. There was “1 Wing” (see http://www.rafhednesford.org/RAFHednesford/Home.aspx). So, if there was ‘1 Wing’ there should/might(?) have been other Wings? How many is not known. Each Wing was sub-divided into Sqns, the Sqns into Flights, and the Flights into Huts (as opposed to Sections) – thus replicating the organisational “tree” that would be found by the Recruits on their first postings. ‘Wings’ on Independent Stations were not listed as such. It was only when ‘Wings’ (not big enough to be a Station) went walkabout (TacComms, TacSupply, etc, and any number of motley collections of operational flying Units) that they became Independent Wings. The “Scribblies” had the conniptions!
    HTH (but I doubt it!)
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!