Thread: Norman Franks, Beyond Courage, ASR by Walrus squadrons

Thanks

Default Norman Franks, Beyond Courage, ASR by Walrus squadrons

I have just picked up Franks' Beyond Courage seeking further information on an incident on 20 March 1943 during which Danish Luftwaffe pilot Poul Sommer shoots down a Spitfire protecting a Walrus rescuing Canadian P/O Miller of No 185 Squadron flying Spitfire (BR109) in the sea outside Cap Scaramia.

The book has no mention of this incident. Would anyone be able to direct me to other sources on the incident. That is apart from Prien et al's book on II./JG27 quoted on my website:
    http://danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=127

TIA, Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkal,

There has been a long and detailed thread on this subject on this forum in 2004 initiated by Hugh Halliday (31-03-04).

Hptm Paul Sommer is credited with Spitfire BR345 with F/O Bill Locke (RCAF, KIA).

Spitfire BP869 with Sgt Ken Browne was also shot down. He ditched a few miles off Malta, but was picked up by a German DO-24 and became POW.

Both Spitfires of 249 Squadron.

Regards,

Leendert
    Brugge/Belgium

Thanks

Thanks Leendert,
    I'll try to locate the old discussion.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War