Thread: Navigator Ifan Watkin James 115/149 squadrons

Thanks

Default Navigator Ifan Watkin James 115/149 squadrons

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to track down some information about a long lost relative.

1424368 Ifan Watkin James 199784 Navigator. Preferred to be known as Watkin James. Passed away in the mid 1970s

My relative has a crew picture from 115 SQN 1945. She is quit sure it was taken between March and May of that year. She also knows he flew on one of the Operation Manna drops.

If someone has the ORB for 115 Sqn and could look up this airman between March and May 1945 it would be very much appreciated.
    She thinks he flew an entire tour mid to end 1944 (with 115 or 149 Sqn) but that might be another thread.

I'm sorry, I know it's not much information to go by.
    Cheers, Chris

Thanks

Chris,
    I only have the 1944 section of the 115sqdn, but have found a, Sgt I.F. James, Navigator with the crew of NZ.421540 F/Sgt J.D.H. Sterling. This crew appears to have possibly come into 115sqdn, around the middle of November 44, as the pilot, F/Sgt Sterling, does a 2nd dicky op, for experience, with F/O D.H. Olorenshaw and his crew, to Cologne, on 27th Nov. Sterling then takes his own crew out, on 30th Nov, to Osterfeld. Strangely, whilst the rest of 115sqdn are on ops daily, the Sterling crew, do not do another op, until 27th Dec, to Rheydt. Then, Cologne on 28th Dec, and Vohwinkel, on 31st Dec.
    If you click on my username, and go to my profile, you should be able to locate my email address there. If you get in touch, i will get back to you about sending copies of ORB pages.
    Can you tell me, if possible, why there are thoughts of him being with 149sqdn, as i have the full ORB.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 23rd December 2013 at 07:06.

Thanks

Hello Alan,
    Wonderful to hear from you, it's been a few years!. Thank-you for your help.
    I was not able to access your email but I did sent you a personal message on the site with my email address.

Thank-you very much, Chris

Thanks

My cousin has a picture of her uncle and crew with a Lancaster coded IL-B hence the 115sqn designation. (1945)
    Crew are named: Joe Bettle-pilot, Hank Judge-Wireless op, George Oliver-Engineer, Watkin James-navigator, Mac-Donald (?) Bomb Aimer, Jimmy Milby-Mid Upper Gunner and Geof Galley-rear Gunner.

The other picture she has is with Lancaster TK-A. Hence the 149 Sqn. No dates or names.

Cheers, Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    You will see from the files i sent, that the crew is the same as you list, apart from different pilot.
    Alan