Thread: Wellington Z1146 419 Squadron

Thanks

Default Wellington Z1146 419 Squadron

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone can be of assistance re: the loss of the above aircraft on February 12, 1942?
    I have details of the crew and saw a reference that it was felled by a direct hit. Another site made reference to a German fighter but alas it was in Dutch.
    As always, any and all assistance is greatly and sincerely appreciated.
    Bob

Thanks

Hi Bob,

The losses that day are a bit confusing. Oblt Diesselhorst claimed at 16.47 hrs local time a Wellington 90 km West of Texel, Fw Küpper another one at 16.57 hrs 10 km West of Texel.
    Both claims are too far north with regard to the locations were bodies of the crew washed ashore.

I've filed the location of this loss as North Sea near Callantsoog and 17.40 hrs, unfortunately without source.

What's your particular interest in this loss?

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

From research done by Tony Wilson in Australia, I have the loss date for this aircraft as 21/22 January 1942. Can I ask what source gave you 12 February 1942?

Thanks

Bill,
    419sqdn ORB states 12th Feb 42, 3 aircraft ordered for attack on German warships off Holland (Operation Fuller). The three Wellingtons took off at 17.00, Wellingtons Z1091 and Z1146 missing from this operation. ORB states, weather poor, 10/10ths cloud, and drizzle, visibility down to 1000yds, caused aircraft to perform individual attacks on ships. The "terrific" gunfire from ships probably caused loss of aircraft.
    The two fighter claims, were before the aircraft took off from their airfield at 17.00, so can be discounted.
    Last edited by AlanW; 27th December 2013 at 09:08.

Thanks

Wow! Lots of responses:
    1) Hans: I am researching the war dead of my town (Montreal West, Quebec, Canada) and came across Richard Arthur "Dick" Laing who was the pilot of the Wellington in question. I found a website ("spiritofcanada") which to my great surprise had a piece written by some of his former crew. Seemingly on the op in question, his regular crew was stood down and he flew with a sprog crew. That article referenced "a direct hit." Interestingly there were a couple of pictures of him there as well.
    2)Bill: I got the dates from "They Shall Not Grow Old" - a book which references all of the Canadian Air Force dead of the second world war. A quick web search seemed to support this, but of course I could be off.
    3)Alan: Very helpful. Cheers!
    Thanks to you all for your patient help.
    Kind regards,
    Bob

Thanks

Thanks Bobby and Alan. My info on Z1091 matches the ORB. Does the 419 Sdn ORB list any losses for 21 / 22 January 1942?

Thanks

Bill,
    Only loss in Jan 42, was Wellington Z1145, which crashed into the sea off Spurn Head, on way back from ops to Hamburg on 15/16th Jan.

Thanks

Thanks Alan.