Thread: Applying for RAF records

Thanks

Default Applying for RAF records

I just need some quick advice if I may before I send off an application. I specifies I need a death certificate which I naturally don't have and wont have until I have sufficient information to obtain one. That information is in their records. So my question is, is it worth me sending the application and wasting my 30 quid or is it possible they may provide anything?. The serviceman has been dead for over 40 years and I can find no direct next of kin and he left no descendants. Or is there another route I can take?.

The Aussies and Canadians are far more helpful and forthcoming, not to mention free.

Cheers.. Dave.

Thanks

Dave, Hi,
    What was his name, and when did he die?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I applied for the Pension file relating to my Grandfather (killed Aug 1940) and they wrote to say they had located a Pension Index Slip.

However, first the VA wanted Death Certificate photocopies of my Grandmother and also my Step-Grandfather too.

The Pension Slip (readable) with a pension reference, a file reference and an Awards reference number, appears to be photocopy from a filmed copy bound in Index books. But to find the file would exceed the 600 FOI limit.

1. If they ask for a Death Certificate I think you will need one, but ring them and ask if in doubt.
    2. In my Grandfather's case the Personnel Record (then 25) contained little more than that on my Grandfather's RAFVR Certificate of Service and Discharge.

However, if you can track down the Discharge paperwork in your family, you can usually get 99% of the info that is on the RAF record.

NOTE
    There are some records that you could only apply for, if you are a direct relative or next of kin.

However, in the past, you could get brief information about non-related Service personnel mentioned in official paperwork, by simply writing a letter to the PMA by post.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 25th December 2013 at 08:42.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Dave, Hi,
    What was his name, and when did he die?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Hi Peter.

Therein lies the problem. I only have a name, service number, rank, squadron and date he was medically discharged due to serious injury. I have all the information on the pilot, aircraft etc etc I could ever need, over 200 pages including photos and certificates all provided absolutely free by the Canadians. But the navigator who until recently was totally unknown remains to be concluded. I can find little reference to him other than he 'may' have died in the 70's. I can't find a family or descendents. He is not a relative, just a parallel line of research. I really want to know what became of him. After two years looking into the story of this aircraft I'm sure you understand how deeply personal this kind of research becomes.

He was Flying Officer Navigator John Campbell 164124 RAFVR of 608 Sqdn and was medically discharged retaining his rank on November 13th 1945 after surviving a crash on November 10th 1944 which claimed the life of the pilot. I only need a date and place of birth to help conclude my research.

Thanks

So he entered service at Padgate after November 1941 and has a name which is only marginally better than John Smith. There were over 40 births with no middle initial between the beginning of 1920 and end of 1923, and that's just England & Wales. This one could run for a long time before it is resolved.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

IF, rpt IF, he died in the 70's then the BMD Deaths give a DoB. There are about a dozen John Campbell's who died in the 70's AND who's DoB was in, or before, 1923. Still not a lot of use but it does seem to have narrowed the list down a bit - assuming my assumptions are correct?
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Name: CAMPBELL, John
    Registration district: Hillingdon, County: Middlesex
    Year of registration: 1972 Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Date of Birth:2 February 1921 Volume no: 5C Page no: 1270

Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne, County: Northumberland
    Year of registration: 1972 Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
    Date of Birth:28 April 1920 Volume no: 1B Page no: 313

Registration district: Bradford, County: Yorkshire
    Year of registration: 1973 Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
    Date of Birth:26 May 1919 Volume no: 2B Page no: 545

Registration district: Poole, County: Dorset
    Year of registration: 1974 Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Date of Birth:1 April 1923 Volume no: 7C Page no: 213

Registration district: Liverpool, County: Lancashire
    Year of registration: 1975 Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Date of Birth:19 February 1919 Volume no: 36 Page no: 1120

Registration district: Poplar & Bethnal Green, County: London
    Year of registration: 1976 Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
    Date of Birth:26 February 1918 Volume no: 14 Page no: 1174

Registration district: Manchester, County: Lancashire
    Year of registration: 1978, Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Date of Birth:July 1920 Volume no: 38 Page no: 0849

Registration district: Enfield, County: Middlesex
    Year of registration: 1978 Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Date of Birth:28 January 1923 Volume no: 12 Page no: 0546

Registration district: Lambeth, County: London
    Year of registration: 1978 Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
    Date of Birth: ? Volume no: 14 Page no: 0069

Registration district: Hatfield, County: Hertfordshire,
    Year of registration: 1978 Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Date of Birth:16 May 1920 Volume no: 10 Page no: 0352
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The following are usually name and Service number only, but worth a check to see if a D.O.B. might be recorded, considering it is free?

AIR 78/27 Name Range: Bygraves, Colin - Campbell, John
    AIR 78/28 Name Range: Campbell, John - Carter, Cyrus

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 26th December 2013 at 22:37.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    So he entered service at Padgate after November 1941 and has a name which is only marginally better than John Smith. There were over 40 births with no middle initial between the beginning of 1920 and end of 1923, and that's just England & Wales. This one could run for a long time before it is resolved.
    So there is a fair chance he came either from Cheshire or Lancashire. I forgot to mention that he appears in the LG 23 November 1945 under the service number 164124 while in the The Times. Tuesday, March 6, 1945. page 6 under two numbers as 1670594/(164124) John CAMPBELL RAFVR. Both with reference to his discharge.

Thanks

'A fair chance he came either from Cheshire or Lancashire'? I am currently researching a Scotsman from Forfar who was issued a Padgate service number. Truth be told, you are going to continue to struggle to achieve your aim until the files are transferred to TNA or you are lucky enough to discover a needle in the proverbial haystack. The RAF will refuse your application if you can't provide prove of death of 25+ years at first blush. They have to send off for the service record and that costs, because the files are not physically held by the MoD anymore. The service has been contracted out to a civilian company. Not withstanding your comments about the service provided by the Canadians and Australians, the scale of their problem is a fraction of that faced by the UK Govt.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Well I may have a result but subject to confirmation.

John Cambell
    Born April 1918 - Durham, Northumberland
    Died May 1977
    Age 59
    Buried 24th May 1977 - Our Lady And St. Cuthbert Church, Prudhoe, Northumberland