Thread: Westland Lysander forced landing - about Christmas 1940

Thanks

Default Westland Lysander forced landing - about Christmas 1940

I am trying to trace details of a forced landing made buy a Westland Lysander (probably a mark II) at about Christmas time 1940 in a field about 1 mile west of the village of Aberlour in Morayshire. My father, then Cpl John Spence, who was a WEM by trade and did NOT receive any flying pay, was in the observer's seat. His service record states that he was attached to 1 AACU at RAF Abbotsinch at the time. He was promoted T/Sgt on 1-1-1941. As far as I am aware neither crew member was injured and the aircraft was repaired and took off again a few days later. I have interviewed 4 residents of Aberlour who clearly remember witnessing the event as children and can date it to the time quoted. However, I can find no squadron, command or RAF records which give any more detail.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Hello John
    The various flights for 1 "Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit" are in AIR 29/39; 29/40 ; 29/41 and from Jan 41 also AIR 29/41. Also the RAF Station ORB in the AIR 28 series? Not all forced landings are recorded.

But there may be a Flying Accident Card held at the RAF Museum, Hendon, which might be the only record?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 26th December 2013 at 21:11.

Thanks

Default Westland Lysander forced landing

Many, many thanks Mark.

You've set me off on new tracks to follow.

I'll report back here with any successes.

Regards

John