Thread: RAF Pilot L.J. Prestridge 102 Sqn.

Thanks

Default RAF Pilot L.J. Prestridge 102 Sqn.

Greetings and a Merry Christmas to all.

I received a book this Christmas titled Idar-Oberstein 1900-1945. Wonderful book and on the last few pages there is a reference to a aircraft that was shot down on the night of 9-10 April 1943. The Halifax crashed nearby to my town (about 15 min drive in Vollmersbach) with 3 KIA. Here is where my interest was sparked. Pilot Prestridge parachuted out and landed in Nahbollenbach (within walking distance of my front door) and was captured later at the Birkenfeld train station. As it turns out, one of the wings or a section of the wing was taken away and used as part of a retaining wall in my town. Its still there. On Christmas day 2013 I went up there and found it. I also have a small piece of it now.

Perhaps Im making too much about it but I feel a connection now between that April night long ago. I wonder what it was like. From my town could you see the flashes from the AA guns? See the aircraft as it spun in? I would honored to be able to speak with J. Prestridge or his family to learn more about the man and his life.

If anybody knows how or even IF its possible to contact the family please e mail me.

mardon40dc@yahoo.com

Thanks

DavidM, Hi, and welcome!
    You will have all the Halifax Restoration Folk descending on you in droves now that you've admitted having parts of a REAL Halifax in your town walls. LOL!, LOL!
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 26th December 2013 at 15:00.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Ok...Ugghhhhh!!

It appears I had two stories mixed together regarding my post (RAF Pilot L.J. Prestridge 102 Sqn)

Pilot Prestridge aircraft came to rest in Vollmersbach

The Aircraft wreckage I have in my town and that I have pieces of actually belong to J. W. Graham of 101 Sqn (Lancaster) and was shot down in May, 1943.

Crew.
    F/O J. W. Graham, RAF
    Sgt. R. A. Greenwood, RAF
    Sgt. C. M. Harrison, RAF
    Sgt. R. J. Renton, RAF
    Sgt. R. W. R. Jones,
    Sgt. J. K. Forster,
    Sgt. G. Parry, RAF
    F/S C. A. Stocking, RAF

My apologies.
    http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarlan...chenbollenbach

Dave.
    Last edited by DavidM; 26th December 2013 at 16:41.