Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airspeed Oxford Mk.I NM510

Thanks

Default Airspeed Oxford Mk.I NM510

Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone can give me the period when Airspeed Oxford Mk.I NM510 was serving with 149 Sq?
    I am mostly after the date when posted to 115 Sq - I am expecting it might be in December 1950 or January 1951?

Any help much apprecitaed.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello Pavel

From the Oxford, Consul & Envoy File by Air-Britain : NM510 Silverstone 10.5.44 ; 17 OTU 21.3.46-20.5.47 ; 115 Sqn 10.8.50 ; 149 Sqn 28.10.50 ; 115 Sqn 21.12.50 ; Washington Conversion Unit ; hit anemometer on runway caravan at Marham and crashed into hut, 1.4.51.

HTH

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 28th December 2013 at 16:17. Reason: typo

Thanks

Was that an ANEMOMETER on the Runway Caravan - or a WIND SOCK? Just interested from a technical point of view. If it was an Anemo, then what sort?, and how did it read out in the caravan? Anemos usually need electricity. Runway caravans were notoriously deficient in this commodity!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Joss many thanks for prompt and very useful info!
    It fits into my ideas.
    May I ask you to check fore me one more Oxford RR443? I suppose this aircraft replaced the abovementioned at 149 Sq.
    If you can sent me also pages where those two Oxfords are mentioned in the book it will be great.

Pavel

Thanks

Hello Pavel

I'd be happy to help, but according to the book, RR443 is part of a cancelled batch ! Can you check the serial ?

Peter, I've just quoted from the book, word for word !

Joss

Thanks

I'd go along with Peter, Joss. Although it would be possible to fit an anemometer mast to a runway caravan its configuration (low height and light construction) would be such that it would be unlikely to cause a crash in the event of an aircraft colliding with it (although the observer in the caravan would need to change his/her underwear). However, there would be no reason to fit such an instrument to a runway caravan and none of the photos I've seen on the web have such an instrument.

A meteorological anemometer mast was usually constructed of metal lattice work, some 30 metres high, and located well away from runways.

A brief report of the accident appeared in the 2nd April edition of The Times:

The pilot and three passengers were killed yesterday when an Airspeed Oxford RAF aircraft hit a Nissen hut on landing at Marsham (sic), Norfolk.

Does anyone have the F1180?

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 29th December 2013 at 11:53. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Hi Joss,

many thanks fro your effort. The serial is mentioned only once and as I wrote already - clearly RR443.
    But it does not means it is correct...
    According to info from Ross on this site the batch was:
    RR321 RR906 Oxford Airspeed

My idea is only some variations:
    RR433
    RR434
    RR344
    RR343

Peter, Brian - the RAF Serials NA-NZ have exactly the same info as Joss posted so I suppose this info comes from the form 1180.

Pavel

Thanks

Aah, but (as has been said before) F1180s can be wrong, Pavel. See also the images at http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/image?q=...yword_rollover - no sign of an anemometer mast. There's quite a good thread at http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...unway-caravans.

Brian

Thanks

Brian no doubt that the info on F1180 can be wrong!
    But on the other hand - I think it can be true...
    There is stated "hit anemometer on runway caravan at Marham and crashed into hut" so no statement that the Oxford was so badly hit that it crashed as the result of meeting the anemometer. But I think that the collision with the anemometer mast on runway caravan can caused panic on board which may lead to the pilot error in critical moments or some of the passnegers should move unexpectedly and it may lead to the further crash when so low...

I know it is very nice fairy tale but you never know:)

Pavel

Thanks

Hello

I won't take part in the controversy about this anemometer. Juste replace "on" by "near" in my quote from the Air-Britain book, and it helps a lot... Result was the same, the Oxford crashed into a Nissen hut with total loss of life.

I had already given a quick look at possible variations of the second serial number.
    RR433 and RR434 : production batch ends at RR382
    RR344 : no posting to 149 nor 115
    RR343 : no posting to 149 nor 115

I've checked the RRs, no luck. Lots of serials to check in the NM, PG or PH to spot postings to 115 or 149 Sqn...

Sorry

Joss