Thread: circumstances of crash 9 squadron 7/12/1940

Thanks

Default circumstances of crash 9 squadron 7/12/1940

looking to find more information on a relative. Robert Coates Parker 9 Squadron died 07/12/1940 buried in Ostende. Royal Airforce VR. 754182. Pilot.
    Would like to understand more about the purpose of the mission and what happened, if anyone can help me get passed the basics, much appreciated

Thanks

According to a report from the Luftwaffe to the German Army, 9 Squadron Wellington R3220 was shot down by Flak of the Second Flak Corps near Oostende. The a/c was on a bombing sortie to Düsseldorf on 7/8 December 1940, crashing at Stene on the southern outskirts of Oostende on the Belgian coast.

Hope of use, cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo, Thank you for investing this time and finding this out, I believe that Robert Parker was flying from Honition in the UK, I am wondering if I can find any additional information from RAF records. Would it be possible to get hold of the report to the Germany army, either a PDF scan or photo or print screen of the relevant para ? My email would be Richard@Little-Hinton.com if this is possible.
    Many thanks
    Richard Parker.

Thanks

Hello

If you go to http://www.9sqn.co.uk/members/

or more direct link http://www.9sqn.co.uk/wp-content/upl.../AIR27_125.pdf
    you can access the Squadron Operations Record Book. If you start from December 1940, and go back in time, you'll be able to build up the crew tour of operations, as well as the missions flown by that specific Wellington, until the time they were posted to the unit.

You don't tell if you have the crew composition, and the usual details given in Bill Chorley's series of book "Bomber Command Losses" ?

Good hunting

joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 3rd January 2014 at 16:06. Reason: having checked the URL was still valid

Thanks

Hi Richard,

I only took a note during my research of the brief mention that I found on a microfilm and that I posted about the Flak claim, there's no elaborate report, I'm sorry to say.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo, Joss. Excellent thank you, I have located the 7th December and can see the entry for R3220, and I can see the on the 8th Dec, nine aircraft did a sweep of the North Sea to look for the plane. The Plane crew was under the name of F/L. Stanley, not Sgt Parker which presumably means that Sgt Parker was not the main pilot for the day, and was 'standing in'
    The details of the operation are not clear as the reference is to Group 3 operations order form B358 which is in an appendix which is not attached to this document. - Is it likely that this detail has not been released ? Or would that be likely to be found in some other way ? Thanks again for your help. Richard Parker

Thanks

forgot to mention that F/L Stanley is buried in the cemetary in Oostende next to Sgt Parker.

Thanks

Hello

The document online is the Operations Record Book of the Squadron, and the appendices are usually covered in at least separate references in the National Archives at Kew (or volumes or even rolls of microfilm). It's just that the website hasn't scanned them and offered them to the public. I can't tell what can be found at Kew, but another source would be No. 3 Group ORB and also its appendice(s). Both these documents are fully accessible at Kew. Otherwise Steve Smith is the guru of No. 3 Group, but it seems he's not around these days.

You must check a longer span of the ORB to see if "your" crew flew ops before, and if Stanley was the captain, and Parker the second pilot. You can't always tell with just one mission. Later on, on four-engine bombers, it was very frequent for a newly posted pilot to make one, sometimes two, ops with an experienced crew, before taking his own crew in missions. These were called "2nd dickey ops" in the RAF slang. This could also be the case here, only a check of the previous missions, and of the postings, could confirm or infirm.

Joss