Thread: Fate and Death site of P. F. Cottle ser. no 1381859, POW. no 260472

Thanks

Default Fate and Death site of P. F. Cottle ser. no 1381859, POW. no 260472

Hi,

I am searching any data on the Avro Lancaster Mk 1 W4789 QR- (Bomber Command, 61 SQDN, Unit A-223) and specially on the airmen crew of 8 who was hit and crashed down during the bombing operation on Cologne on June 16/17 1943.

The Air Gunner P.F. Cottle (# 1381859) was the only one to survive to the crash, all the others, including my uncle Jean Paul Laurin (# J/22363, RCAF, F/O), were KIA.

I found no other data on (P. ? F. ?) Cottle then that he was made POW (# 260472) and detained in L-6 german camp (Lithuania). What was his journey really from the beginning (enlistment) up to the end (death site)?

Many thanks in advance

Jacques Laurin

Thanks

Greetings Jaques,

There seems to be a bit of confusion between p f cottle and my father p c (percival charles) cottle....
    The pow number you quote was definitly given to my father - it appears on a couple of postcards he sent from stalag Luft 3 (9th may 44) and stalag IVB (26 dec 43). My fathers service number was 1262749. He was a sgt./ warrant officer, wireless operator / air gunner, with 70 squadron flying wellingtons in north africa.

To add to the confusion... I believe his aircraft was that which was forced to land on the night of 12/13 oct with the following crew;
    Sgt s fitton
    Sgt cwr macfarquar (rnzaf)
    Sgt hg (or hh) barnard
    Sgt sr lowe
    Sgt pf cottle (!!!!)

All these were reported missing jan 1st 43 then reported pows april 8th 43 wih the change of name to pc cottle and hg to hh barnard.

All the best,
    Geoff

Thanks

Hello Geoff

I have your father's PoW questionnaire, in case you are interested. You can contact me by clicking on my name to get my profile.

I also have Percy Frederick Cottle's PoW questionnaire. Service number 1381859, he wrote he was captured on 24 June 1943, but gives no location of the place of capture.

joss

Thanks

Geoff, Hello and Welcome,

The No.70 Sqn Wellington lost on 1-1-1943, could be, Wellington IC DV536 (Pilot: 1017549 Sgt Stanley FITTON), which ran out of fuel and forced landed in bad weather near Mersa Matruh, on 1-1-1943, on return from Heraklion. Can you confirm?

Jacques, please excuse!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th February 2017 at 01:49.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello Geoff

I have your father's PoW questionnaire, in case you are interested. You can contact me by clicking on my name to get my profile.

I also have Percy Frederick Cottle's PoW questionnaire. Service number 1381859, he wrote he was captured on 24 June 1943, but gives no location of the place of capture.

joss
    Hello Joss

Cutting in here - do you by any chance have the PoW questionnaire for the late John J Caulton of 132 (City of Bombay) Squadron. I have been contacted by his grandson, also John if you haven't met him, and we are exchanging information and he mentioned that a French historian had sent him a copy of the 132 ORB, which I guessed was you, and also that you had been out to NZ to interview John?

kind regards

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Greetings Col,
    I can't confirm the loss of DV536 on 1-1-1943 but I can say my father wasn't on board. From his pow questionnaire it is certain his aeroplane was forced to land on 12/13 oct 1942 and in jan 1943 he was in pow 85 in Tuturano Italy.
    I still have doubts about the rest of the crew of my fathers wellington (DV570 M) but sgt. CWR Macfarquhar was the pilot.
    Have you tried the book 'A History of the Mediterranean Air War' or 'Bomber Command Losses in the Middle East and Mediterrabean' ?
    Cheers

Thanks

Herewith some notes about MacFarquhar:

MacFARQUHAR, Warrant Officer Colin William Reid.
    NZ412708. Born Whatawhata, 31 Oct 1914. RNZAF 4 May 1941 to 3 Nov 1945. Pilot. Experienced engine trouble and force to land 13 Oct 1942, captured 24 Oct 1942 with 70 Sqn RAF (Wellington) during a raid on Tobruk, having flown 236 operational hours. PoW #33660 - Safe UK 26 Apr 1945. Died Tuakau, 26 December 1993.

According to Gunby & Temple's Volume One of RAF Bomber Losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean the full crew of DV570 was:

Sgt S Fitton
    Sgt C W R MacFarquhar, RNZAF
    Sgt H G Barnard
    Sgt S R Lowe
    Sgt G H Cross
    Sgt P F Cottle

All PoW

Errol