Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster crash, Sassenay France, August 1943

Thanks

Default Lancaster crash, Sassenay France, August 1943

Hello, I am researching the crash of 7 sqn Lancaster III, MG-M, JA850 on the night of 14 August 1943.

My Great Uncle was the Nav on this flight and having recently attained his service records from the New Zealand Defence Force I have come across a few anomalies between the text book accounts and what is in his file in respect of the crash.

I wonder if anyone else has looked into this aircrafts demise in depth and may be able to shed further light?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Hello,

Have you seen this file at the National Archives of Australia?

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...arcode=1067138

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th January 2014 at 06:02.

Thanks

thanks very much, I have discovered I have possesions of the W/O you refer me to, can you tell me if I can use the site you referred me to to trace his relatives to return.

Regards

Thanks

KIWIMECH,

First of all, l suggest you take a look at AUS411217 W/O John Henry DUGAN's RAAF personnel file. Get the feel for the man.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...arcode=5528872

Don't expect any assistance from the National Archives in contacting Dugan's relatives, it is simply not their function in life.

Dugan worked for five years as a press and commercial artist on the Newcastle Herald, a prominent regional newspaper in New South Wales. The Herald is still very much in existence. l recommend you contact them and tell them what's on your mind. Dugan lived and worked locally, and is commemorated on a memorial at Merewether, a suburb of Newcastle. All of this should attract a bit of local interest. If there are relatives still about, a piece in the Herald would not go by without notice.

Here is the contact for the Newcastle Herald:

http://www.theherald.com.au

Unfortunately, John Dugan's widow, Heather, passed away in 1997.

Let us know how you get on.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 6th January 2014 at 07:14.

Thanks

COL BRUGGY,

thank you again!

Unfortunately the hyper links to the NAA will not work for me, however by luck and ignorance I have downloaded a digital file for W/O Dugan pertaining to correspondance between the RAAF and his wife posthumously. Is this the file you refer or is there more lurking within the NAA site?

What I did download has reiterated my earlier thoughts regarding the confusion that existed at the time as to the demise of several of the crew. Included were several possible avenues of enquiry including one with links back to my Great Grandmother. I have the impression that both the Australian and New Zealand records I now have are summaries of a more detailed RAF post war report concluding the demise of JA850. Would you know if such exists and where I may find a copy?

The possession I have of W/O Dugans is a sketch book of comical charactures penned by his own hand, included an effigy of my Great Uncle. This book would would appear to validate your enlightenment of his pre-war career as an artist.

Thank you for the link to the herald I will follow it up and keep you posted.

Regards

Thanks

KIWIMECH,

I would say the file you have downloaded, is probably Dugan's A9301 Personnel File. Just to double-check, try this:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/Login.htm

Login as a Guest. Click on Search, then enter 411217 in the Keywords box. Click on the Digitised Item symbol of the A9301 file (33.pp).

Give it a try.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Col, I have found and downloaded second file.

It has got me wondering whats contained in my own old records now!!!! Maybe ignorance is a blessing lol

Thanks

Hello, I have just seen your post. My mother's first husband Al Balcombe was also on this flight and is buried in Sassaney, France along with the other crew members. I have recently obtained Al's military personnel records from Library and Archives Canada. If it would be of help, I could certainly share this information with you.

best regards

Thanks

Default mskkingdom

Quote Originally Posted by mskkingdom View Post
    Hello, I have just seen your post. My mother's first husband Al Balcombe was also on this flight and is buried in Sassaney, France along with the other crew members. I have recently obtained Al's military personnel records from Library and Archives Canada. If it would be of help, I could certainly share this information with you.

best regards
    Thank you for response. I have sent you an email and would love sharing the information I have too if of benefit.

Thanks

Hi Kiwimech,

According to Theo Boiten's book on the 'Nachtjagd War Diaries they were shot down by Hptm Hans von Niebelschuts of 5./NJG4 at 23.52 for his 6th victory. He would go on to claim 10 victories before he was killed on the night of 2/3 Jan 1944 when he was shot down by flak and crashed at Engelsdorf near Leipzig.

Regards,

John.