Thread: WW1 Records.

Thanks

Default WW1 Records.

My father, John Hegarty was an AC/2 in the Royal Flying Corps, Signals, Non-Flying. He was gassed in June 1918 and was treated at No.5 G.H. Rouen before being repatriated. He was discharged with honour in January 1919.

Do records exist that would give me any information about the action in which he would have been involved when he was gassed? His service record gives little detail, but does mention `disability V.D.H.` - ??

JeanB

Thanks

JeanB
    Possibly,valvular disease of the heart (VDH) .

Paul H

Thanks

Spotted on a recently viewed army record and written in full: Vascular Disease Heart
    Dave

Thanks

Thank you both ... makes sense - tho` I remember my father suffering more from stomach and digestive problems all his life. Both that and the heart problem undoubtedly the result of the gas.

Can anyone tell me perhaps what exactly his duties may have been - I think I have deciphered in the service record `Radio operator` - ??

Jean B

Thanks

Jean, can you post here or send me a PM with a few details like date of birth and any service number he might have had and I will check on the ancestry.com site. Maybe you have done this yourself anyway.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Jean,
    1 April 1918 the RFC became the RAF so that might confuse your search.
    80% of the WW1 records were destroyed in the Blitz, so you will have to be really lucky to find something in the NA.
    In June 1918 the predominant gas was "Mustard Gas", but it was not the only one used. Your father could have been gassed by either side, the wind caused havok with the dispersal.
    Be careful assuming that your father had a heart problem, VDH was used as a catch-all "get out of the army" ailment. It was used to help release men at their convenience rather that wait for their turn in the queue. If you father was not injured badly enough to be repatriated immediately, but was suffering from the gas, they may have used VDH to get him home quicker.

Mark.

Thanks

Hi Jean

As a WOp it was likely he was attached to an artillery unit to receive the messages transmitted by the RAF Corps aircraft which would be doing the spotting for the guns. Quite a few RAF WOps were killed or injured on these duties and being gassed was a real possibility.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Mark ... your comments are well taken, especially regarding the VDH.

Thanks too, Malcolm; that explains to me why he appeared to be with the Army and not with the RAF. I imagine the losses were appalling, Dad always said that every day to him was a bonus.

Jean