Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hudson FK803 march 1945

Thanks

Bob,
    If you mean the pages from the ORB, for each operation, then yes. I will be putting them together for Errol, so if you want them, let me have your email address via a PM.
    Alan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Hi Errol,
    Apologies, did'nt catch that. Final tally for 161sqdn, after being posted in from 1483 Flight on 11th March 44, is 37 ops. I'll sort the individual pages out, and send via email. Is your email still the same as in your profile.
    Alan.
    Many thanks Alan. Yes, email is unchanged.

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Strange that this one should come up now as it was only just befor Christmas that Thompson's daughter contacted me for information.

AlanW - do you have Helfer's Debriefing Reports?
    Bob,

The following from my third volume of For Your Tomorrow may be of interest to Thompson's daughter?

THOMPSON, Flying Officer Forrest Harold, DFM.
    NZ412766; b Auckland 15 Dec 17; Gisborne HS & Ruakura Agricultural Coll; shepherd - Ihungia Farming Co, Tokomaru Bay. RNZAF Levin/ITW as Airman Pilot u/t 3 May 41, 2EFTS c.14 Jun 41, emb for Canada 14 Aug 41, att RCAF 29 Aug 41, 2SFTS 2 Sep 41, pilot trg terminated, KTS 1 Oct 41, remust as Air Gunner u/t 30 Oct 41, 7BGS 24 Nov 41, Air Gunners Badge & Sgt 22 Dec 41, 1 Y Depôt c.1 Jan 42, att RAF & emb for UK 8 Jan 42, 3PRC 21 [28?] Jan 42 [hosp 3-16 Mar], 1AAS 11 Apr 42, 11OTU (Wellington) 26 May 42, 1651CU [redesignated 1651HCU 7.10.42] (Stirling) 25 Aug 42, 218 Sqn (Stirling - 27 ops?) 28 Oct 42, Comm 7 Jul 43, 1483(B)GF (Wellington) as instr 4 Aug 43, 161 Sqn (various a/c types) 11 Mar 44 [att Manby for cse 1-3 Mar], kao 21 Mar 45 (Hudson). Asselborn (Maulusmuhle) isolated coll. grave, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Son of Waldo Samuel & Ethel Annie Thompson (née Sherwood), Waipiro Bay; h of Olive Mabel Thompson (née Mathers) & f of 1d, Bedford, Beds., England. Note: brother of Onslow, below. [BSD & phot. TWN 4.8.43 & 25.8.43].

THOMPSON, Flying Officer Onslow Waldo, DFM.
    NZ401791 (prev A401791); b Auckland 10 Nov 16; Gisborne HS; clerk - Waiapu County Council, Te Puia Springs. RNZAF Levin/GTS as Airman Pilot u/t 2 Jul 40, 2EFTS 27 Jul 40, 2FTS 29 Sep 40, 1FTS 3 Oct 40, Pilots Badge [wef 12.12.40] & Sgt 18 Jan 41, att RAF & emb for UK 30 Jan 41, 3PRC 2 Mar 41, 17OTU (Blenheim) 10 Mar 41, 107 Sqn (Blenheim - 43 ops inc with Sqn Det) 1 Jul 41, with Sqn Det to Malta c.26 Aug 41 [Det disbanded Jan 42], to UK [& rtn to Sqn?] c.Feb 42, 17OTU (Blenheim) as instr 18 Mar 42, Comm 17 Aug 42, 1655MCU (Mosquito) 12 Dec 42, 105 Sqn (Mosquito) 6 Feb 43, kao 1 May 43. Marham Cemetery - War Graves Plot.39, Norf., England. Son of Waldo Samuel & Ethel Annie Thompson (née Sherwood), Waipiro Bay; h of Joyce Constance Thompson (née Williams, later Kearns), London, England. Note: brother of Forrest, above. [OHT2, OHT3, BSD & phot. TWN 29.4.42, 9.6.43 & 30.6.43].

14 Aug 41 Awatea Auckland-Vancouver, arr 29 Aug. . . .
    RNZAF for att to RCAF: . . .
    51 APs u/t – died: Bailey, I F; Bright, E W; Cundy, N E; Easton, K H I; McGregor, W Y; Moore, W A; Norris, F W; Park, N M; Stuchbery, L R; Thompson, F H; Trafford, G R; Watson, W S; Whaley, N P; Wood, C L; Woods, R A F; (15) –
    survived: Adams, J S; Allan, R W; Batten, J E M; Crompton, K; Cuthbertson, A W; Fail, D G; Findlay, M J; Fisher, R R G; Fourneau, S J; Gale, D; Gibbs, C M; Hall, D M; Higgins, W; Johnston, B G; Kettle, B; Lockhart, D W; Lohrey, I C; McDonald, C J; McKenzie, V B; Merrilees, T; Mete-Kingi, H R; Morel, M J; Mygind, W J; Norman, J H; Page, C T V; Paton, J B; Pilkington, I C E; Prichard, R C; Puttick, R; Schou, K V J; Shephard, J S; Shorthouse, R C; Sowerby, A H; Street, R H; Waddle, W J R; Weir, J I; (36). . . .

Errol

Thanks

'just some additional information, taken from the book, "Queen of the Midnight Skies. The Story of America's Air Force Night Fighters", by Gary R. Pape and Ronald C. Harris (Schiffer Publishing, 1992).

Firstly, from page 299, a paraphrased version of the Encounter Report by CAPT Raymond Anderson and 2nd LT Robert Graham:

"Their patrol period was more or less uneventful and the few chases given by Marmite control were lost due to a faulty weapon. At 0015 hours, while returning to base. Marmite informed them a bogey was approaching from the SE (Koblenz area) al 8.500 feet. After several vectors from ground control, the airborne radar picked up the target at one and a half miles, taking violent evasive action in the form of 180 deg. turns, dives and climbs. Al contact was lost several times and regained with the help of Marmite. Finally after three unsuccessful runs, AI contact was again obtained at one and a half miles, the bogey still jinking violently. This time range was closed to 1,200 feet where pilot obtained a visual on twin exhausts and tails, target traveling generally 270, altitude by now, 3.500 feet. IAS 140-150. Finding it difficult to stay in position behind the target, pilot opened his cowl flaps to slow himself down. At 300 foot range, target 30 degrees above, the bogey was identified as a Do 217-K2 by twin tails, tapered wings and pencil shaped fuselage. For some reason the bandit abandoned evasive action and was flying straight and level. The pilot then dropped back dead astern and climbed slightly above the enemy aircraft. At 400 foot range, fire was opened with one long burst and the target immediately exploded and burst into flame, debris and fire trailing off. Turning and diving to port to avoid collision, the pilot saw the German crosses, saw one wing fall off and a parachute open. The target crashed into the ground and burned fiercely."

Secondly, page 299 also presents three frames from the cine film from Anderson and Graham's encounter (all that is seen is the flash/fireball from the explosion), with the caption noting that cine cameras weren't standard equipment on the P-61, but on this night Anderson and Graham's aircraft happened to be so equipped...

Cheers

Rod

Thanks

Alan -thanks for the offer but I have the ORB.

Erroll - many thanks I'll pass that on.