Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax versions

Thanks

Default Halifax versions

Hello,

I am new in this forum, so hello to all. I am interested in Lancaster and Halifax aircraft and would like to ask my first questions.

I actually do not understand the versions of the Halifax. So I would like to know where I can find a document in which is shown which version the Halifax HR 876 und HR 861 were. Does anyone know an official list with this information and the production dates?

If both aircrafts are Halifax B Mark II Series 1A which I read somewhere, is it right that they are 59 versions and the 59 is the beginning of the serial numbers or is it possible that they have a 57 as the beginning of the serial numbers?

Thanks for your help.

Marcel

Thanks

Hi Marcel, welcome aboard.

From Air Britain RAF serials book I can confirm taht both Halifaxes you mentioned were Mk.II.
    There was batch of 250 Halifaxes Mk.II delivered between Sec 42 and Aug 43 by factory at Radlett: HR654-HR699, HR711-HR880,HR905-HR952,HR977-HR988.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

thanks for your reply. In wikipedia I found the following list of versions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Halifax

Is a Halifax B.II Series I aircraft a Mk. II or what does the B, Mark and Series mean?

So when you write it was a Mark II it could be a H.P. 58 or 59 or one of the mentioned series?

Where can I get a photo of the HR876?

Thanks.

Marcel

Thanks

Marcel,
    I am not expert on Halifaxes but what I understand from the Wiki page you mentioned:

H.P.58

Halifax Mk II
    Projected variant with revised armament including 20 mm cannon and no tail turret. Due to problems with the new armament, the project was cancelled and the Mk II designation given to H.P.59.
    - so I suppose only one or few prototypes were built

H.P.59

Halifax Mk II
    New variant with increased takeoff weight, fuel and weapons carriage.
    - so I suppose only one or few prototypes were built
    Halifax B.II Series x
    - standard series of bombers.

I think you need a special literature to be able to find out the minor differences and to identify the exact series... I think your publication is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halifax-File.../dp/0851300987

As for the photo - I am not sure if there is existing photo of this particular serial. Anyway the best places to contact are: RAF Museum Hendon, Imperial War Museum.
    I searched the AB site but no result for your serial.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

In the reference to the type Halifax B. Mk.II Series I. B = Bomber, Mk.II is Mark 2 (ie comes are Mark 1 and before Mark 3), Series I is a series within the production of Mk.II aircraft but where the changes were not deemed sufficient to give the variant a new Mark number. From what I know there were some outward changes to Mk.II Series I aircraft, I've heard about a re-design of the tailplane & rudders to give increased rudder authority but I'm not sure if this was made to all Series I aircraft.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

For a history of the Halifax I strongly recommend Kenneth Merrick's "Handley Page Halifax From Hell to Victory and Beyond" from Classic Publications, although his earlier work on the subject is also worthwhile as far as answering your questions. Key books such as this are superior to the much shorter and over-simplified accounts on the web, though limited when it comes to individual histories.

Aircraft from the HRxxx series are likely to have been built to the B Mk.II Series 1(Spec) status, with a fairing instead of the nose turret, and upgraded in service to the rectangular fins and perspex nose - if they lasted long enough. The first was delivered on 21.12.42 and the first of the following HXxxx batch was on 11.8.43. HR 876 served with 405 Sq and 35 Sq before going missing over Berlin 1.12.43. HR 861 served with 35 Sq before going missing over Nurnberg 11.8.43. I suspect a history of 35 Sq might be your best bet for a photograph, but otherwise it could appear in any of many books on the bombing campaign and its aircraft.

Thanks

Here is a probable photo of HR861 prior to 35 sqdn markings (TL-T?)
    http://m.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126576

The triangular tail fins were replaced with the square fins sometime during mid-production of the Series 1A (without being given a new version or series number). Existing Series 1A a/c were retrofitted in the field with the square fins. Therefore Halifax II Series 1A photo's can have either fin. In the above link is also a photo of HR928 a Mk II series 1a with the square fins. The field retrofitting occurred over the summer of 1943. Usually a fin upgrade would be noted on the crash card.

HP Halifax variant numbering scheme is utterly confusing. The Mark II series 1a and the Mark V are essentially the same aircraft but different landing gear suppliers. The Mark III (most produced and best performing Halifax) was produced after the Mark V - go figure? Likely due to difficulties and delays in upgrading to the radial hercules engine.

FYI I've been looking for a photo of HR732 (my uncle's kite) for years no luck. I google HR861 and up it pops!

Cheers
    Rodger
    Last edited by rmventuri; 7th January 2014 at 19:28. Reason: clarity
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943

Thanks

Hello,

what you wrote helped me very much, thanks. I wonder how the numbers HP 57 and HP 59 belong to each version. It seems that the HR876 was a H.P. 59 or is there no connection between these numbers?

Marcel
    Last edited by Marcel L.; 9th January 2014 at 14:15.

Thanks

HP59 was the Mk.II, and presumably also the Mk.V. HP61 was the Mk.III and subsequent Hercules-engined variants.

Thanks

And don't forget the Halifax (Met) Mk V. There was some significant 'meteorological plumbing' installed on these a/c, as well as some shifting of crew positions and associated repositioning of instruments!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!