Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information about RCAF pilot and his spitfire

Thanks

Default Information about RCAF pilot and his spitfire

Hello everyone,

I am researching the story of a Canadian pilot: Flg Off John (Jack) M. Calvert from Alberta. He was with 421 squadron and participated in the missions over Normandy in June 1944 and later in Belgium/ Holland. He was shot down at Nijmegen and survived. I am particularly interested in two details:

• the plane that he was flying: I understand that he was flying by then the Spitfire IX. Where do I find the serial numbers and plane/unit codes? I think that the serial of the plane that was shot down at Nijmegen was MK365. How do I confirm that? where can I confirm whether the serial number was the same for the plane he flew in Normandy? I also know that 421 squadron's code was AU. How do I find out which letter completed the code? (AU-?)
    • after he was shot down in Nijmegen, I have a gap in info. It doesn't seem like he was seriously hurt but I'm not sure whether he participated in the German campaign after liberating the Netherlands.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks

Default Spit Prang

G'day

Spitfire Mk. IX, s/n MK356 was being flown by Flying Officer J. M. Calvert of No. 421 'Indian' (F) Squadron on a morning patrol over Nijmegen, when it was damaged by Fw 190s from I./JG 26 on the 2nd of October 1944. The aircraft was written off.

Unfortunately, the Squadron ORB's do indicate a radio call letter for the Spit

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks for this Chris. There was a gate guardian Spitfire at RAF Congingsby marked MK356 some years back. Does anyone know the real identity of this guardian?

Thanks

It seems that MK356 is flown by the BOB Memorial Flight -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BB...e_IX_MK356.jpg
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Default Spitfire

G'day

The 'Bible' shows it is listed as Category AC with No. 421 Squadron.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

RAF Cat. AC is repairable: "Repair is beyond the unit capacity, i.e. may be repaired on site by another unit or contractor", so this may be the same aircraft.

Thanks

(Chris, did you get my PM?)
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    G'day

Spitfire Mk. IX, s/n MK356 was being flown by Flying Officer J. M. Calvert of No. 421 'Indian' (F) Squadron on a morning patrol over Nijmegen, when it was damaged by Fw 190s from I./JG 26 on the 2nd of October 1944. The aircraft was written off.

Unfortunately, the Squadron ORB's do indicate a radio call letter for the Spit

Cheers...Chris
    Hi Chris, thanks so much for the reply. I'm taking from your info that the sn is actually 356 not 365. Since I'm new to all this, can you clarify what (F) means? Also, I understand that the ORB do NOT indicate a call letter (I.e. That the we don't know what comes after AU). Correct?

Thanks

Default Spitfire

G'day

It is indeed Mk365. That's what happens after you have been awake for more than 24 hours. Sorry for any confusion. (F) - Fighter. As I mentioned, the ORB states this particular Spitfire was written off.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks Chris, sleep deprivation can indeed have that effect! Thanks everyone. A general question: how were call letters assigned? Could a pilot fly multiple planes with different call letters? Any references I could consult to educate myself? J.M.Calvert was a dear friend of my father-in-law's so this research is important to us, especially this year.