Thread: 59 Squadron Log Book

Thanks

Default 59 Squadron Log Book

According to Alwyn Jay's book "Endurance", the Murray Charlton crew made an inconclusive attack on a U-boat on July 10, 1943 in the Bay of Biscay. My father, F/O Maxwell D. Hutchings was part of that crew. My understanding is that the bombing of U-boats was the work of Coastal Command. Also, according to reliable records, my father arrived in Montreal in July of 1944 attached to Ferry Command. His Squadron was definitely 59 Squadron.

I am seeking to clarify my father's activities during the war. His log book did not survive and I would very much appreciate any suggestions or information that would be helpful to my search. Thank you.
    Phyllise Stickel

Thanks

Hello Phyllise, and Welcome,

Just to let people know, Murray Charlton, is in fact, AUS402638 S/L Murray CHARLTON DFC RAAF. After serving on No.59 Sqn., Charlton served on No.111 Operational Training Unit (1-11-44 to 27-11-44), at Nassau, in the Bahamas. Maybe your father was there as well.

For Charlton's DFC. http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...pplements/1445. Charlton was CO (13-8-45 to 15-10-45), of the Paratroop Training Unit, Richmond, New South Wales.

Murray Charlton DFC, passed away on 29 August, 2009, aged 91.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th January 2014 at 10:01.

Thanks

Hi Phyllise,

Just in case you have not seen it before, here is a link to a photo of the Charlton crew, including
    F/O M.D. Hutchings.

http://www.number59.com/new_59/memor..._charlton.html

Thanks

Hello Angelsonefive:

Thank you for your response. I did have the crew picture with my father, but not the other pictures. I have emailed the website owner in order to add information to the site about my father and another crew member, Sgt. Lorne Proudfoot. They knew each other before the war. As a matter of fact Lorne's mother charged my father with the task of "looking out for her son" while he was in the service. My father was
    ten years older than Lorne who was about twenty, maybe younger, I think. They were from the small island (9 km x 3 km) of Bell Island in Newfoundland. Max was promoted to Flight Lieutenant in January, 1944 and was discharged with that rank on January 6, 1946. Thanks again. Phyllise

Thanks

Hi Col Bruggy: Thanks very much for your response. I now know a lot more about Murray Charlton - what a guy! I don't think my father went with him to the Bahamas. Nothing like that was ever mentioned and there were lots of stories. He was based in Montreal from July, 1944 until his discharge in January, 1946. He had an interesting adventure on his way home for a family wedding in 1944 from Dorval Airport to Gander when his Hudson was forced to crash-land on a frozen lake north of St. Alban's, Newfoundland, due to a change in the weather. The pilot was J. W. Narburgh and they were carrying passengers in the form of the Commanding Officer of RAF Ferry Command, Gander, Group Captain David Anderson as well as Narburgh's wife, Anderson's teenage son, Airman, D. W. Caddick and F/O Clarke. It happened on December 23rd and it was not until the 25th that a ski-equipped plane was able to land and fly out Clarke, the Narburghs, Anderson and his son. The weather turned again and on the 28th Hutchings and Caddick were flown out by a Norseman rescue aircraft. The plane received only slight damage so in January, 1945 Gander's maintenance crew set up camp at the site and fitted the under-carriage with skis. One of Ferry Command's expert pilots was called upon and in February the Hudson was flown off the lake to a safe landing in Gander All my thanks go to Darrell Hillier in Paradise, Newfoundland who provided me with this information from his research on RAF Ferry Command in Gander and some of their salvage efforts. Darrell says that this type of salvage effort was not unusual for Gander's maintenance. staff. I've included this story because it relates to Ferry Command and this type of information is really hard to come by for people like me and some people who need it may see it here. Thanks again for your response. I was only ten when the war ended and all this information fills a huge void for me. Phyllise

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hi Phyllise,

Can send you extracts from my book on the Fortress with Coastal Command - sounds like you would like to learn more about anti-submarine operations. The book mentions 59 Sqn but the unit was back on the Liberator by July 1943.

Kind regards,

Robert

Thanks

Hi Phyllise,

Have you seen the following web page ? It is the Service Honour Roll of 59 Squadron, RAF.

http://www.number59.com/new_59/roll/honour.html[/url]

Your father's name is included with the Flying Officers, and the source given is " Dtown-Moor ORB."
    I think this must be a reference to the RAF Station Davidstow Moor Operations Record Book.

There is a website for RAF Davidstow Moor :

http://www.rafdavidstowmoor.org/operations-record/introduction/[/url]

And here is the first DM ORB mention of the Charlton crew. It is the ORB page for 10/7/43.

http://www.rafdavidstowmoor.org/oper...943/july-1943/

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by angelsonefive; 9th January 2014 at 09:30. Reason: Added link to ORB entry.