Thread: 23 Squadron Flight Commander 1942

Thanks

Default 23 Squadron Flight Commander 1942

I am trying to work out the names of some flight commanders that have signed a log
    book from 1942 and I was wondering is somebody from the forum might be able to help.

They are:

June & August 1942
    Squadron Leader OC B Flight
    No idea, possibly starts with a K?

July 1942
    Squadron Leader OC A Flight
    Possibly something like W T Stall

September & October 1942
    Squadron Leader OC B Flight
    Possibly something like S P Russell

Any help would be fantastic.

Johnnie

Thanks

Distinguished Flying Cross. 23 APRIL, 1943

Acting Squadron Leader Samuel Philip RUSSELL (73011), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 23 Squadron.
    This officer has completed 41 sorties. Whilst serving in the United Kingdom, he participated in numerous attacks on lines of communication in France and Belgium, causing the destruction of seven locomotives. In the Middle East he has executed many sorties, involving attacks on rail and road transport, causing much destruction. In March, 1943, Squadron Leader Russell made a successful attack on a destroyer. Some days later he pressed home a vigorous attack on a medium-sized merchant vessel, setting it on fire. In addition, he destroyed an E boat. This officer has displayed inspiring leadership, great courage and keenness.

Russell was CO of 23 Squadron, as Wing Commander from Dec 1944 to 1946

A

Thanks

Thanks for that.

One down two to go!

Thanks

Default 23 Squadron Flight Commanders

Hi Johnnie

This may or may not help, but my notes show that both S/Ldr KH Salusbury-Hughes and S/Ldr NJ Starr were probably on the squadron at the time, possibly as flight commanders.

At trip to Kew seems necessary to confirm this, though.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Thanks for that. Starr would certainly fit after looking back at the names in the log.
    Looking at later dates in the log, Starr seems to have moved to 60 OTU High Ercall
    as he signes the book again as the OC of training. The CWGC have him as being killed
    on the 8th of January 1945 while with 276 Squadron.

As for Salusbury-Hughes. It could well be his signature however it is very hard to
    decipher. It certainly starts with a K, and the rank would fit.
    The CWGC have him as killed on the 21st July 1943 while with 23 Squadron in Malta.

Does anybody have any further information of the loss of both men?

Johnnie

Thanks

hello,

The death of W/C Norman John STARR, DFC & bar has already been discussed here, you should be able to find the thread(s ?) in the archives section.

STARR was flying in Avro Anson MG552 from B-83 Knoke-le-Zout (Belgium) to U.K., for his wedding. With him on board was W/C J.H. HUMPHRIS, S/L H.C. HALEY and F/O R.B. MOORE. All killed in action and buried in Dunkirk Town Cemetery, Plot 2, Row 5, collective grave 22-23. The German Flak in Dunkirk was still active and efficient, and I believe the Anson flew too close to Dunkirk during the transit flight, and was shot down by Flak.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks for the information about Starr. What a tragic story.

Johnnie

Thanks

Default Wing Commander N J Starr

Wing Commander N J Starr known as uncle John to his niece Valerie (my Grandma) is my great great uncle. I dont know much about him. I know he was due to marry on January the 9th the day after he died and his fiance was waiting at wherever it was he was meant to land the day before but he didnt arrive due to the incident described above. My Grandma sadly has had a major stroke and is in a nursing home but she sometimes still talks about John, if you need to know anything I can try and ask her I dont know if ill get a response or not if not her brother Ron is still alive and her half sister Delphene I can ask either of those. John also had a brother Harold Morley Starr who was shot down during the battle of Britain. Sydney Watson Starr their brother is my grandmothers father as far as im aware he wasnt in the forces. My email is tonyaking57@yahoo.co.uk if you need any more information, also any information you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sqdn/Ldr N.J.Starr, posted to 23sqdn as Flight Commander 20/06/42, but ORB also records him as on an op with the squadron on 18/19th June, so possible typo there somewhere.
    Between 18/06/42 and 16/05/43, i've found 44 ops flown, 12 of these from UK.
    On 23/12/42 he flew from Portreath to Gibralter.
    31/12/42 from Gibralter to Maison Blanche, then on to Luqa.
    Posted back to UK on 16/05/43, ORB states.... It is with great regret that their departure is recorded, they have done yeoman service with the squadron.

Thanks

Thank You x