Thread: Kings Regulations 652 (5)

Thanks

Default Kings Regulations 652 (5)

Hi, I'm researching my father in law and have obtained is records. He was discharged in 1951 under Kings Regulation 652 (5). Can anyone tell me the reason for discharge. Prior to the discharge his record shows Hospital Wroughton. Is this possibly a medical discharge?

Thanks

At my request, the RAF Museum has just been sent a copy of the regulations for (4b) and on the same page is (5) which states "By Purchase".

I have no idea how this worked, but I did a quick google on "RAF Discharge by Purchase" and a number of sites seemed to provide explanations, so I will leave you to browse.

Others may be able to add more detail, but I hope this is a useful start point

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete, Many thanks, really appreciated. I'll take a look at Google and see where it takes me. We think his father was a judge so wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with it!

Thanks

My November 1942 King's Regulations copy, K.R. 652 appears to come under "SECTION VIII.-Discharge and Transfer to the Reserve."

"Competent authority to authorise discharge."
    "(5) By purchase." "On payment of the regulated sum- (i) if deposited within 3 months of enlistment under Section 81, Air Force Act- C.O. of the unit; (ii) in other cases- Air Ministry."

There are also references to paragraphs 641 and 642 in Clause 5 of 652 and these paragraphs also say see 636 and 637.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 14th January 2014 at 21:29.

Thanks

Mark, That's really useful thank you. In this case it would have been under (ii) Air Ministry. I don't suppose there are any references or examples under what circumstances the Air Ministry would accept discharge by purchase? On the records we have obtained some information has been withheld and there is a couple of lines redacted out in the section titled "Time Forfeited". In the covering letter from the RAF they state that the information withheld, and I would therefore assume the redacted part, relates to "Subjects conduct and disciplinary assessment". I get the impression he's been particularly bad! Would time forfeited be to hospitalisation or imprisonment?

Thanks

Hello Sapper

If you have been supplied information by a Government Dept or Government Services, you could apply under FOI Act to have the redacted part released in full.

If still refused under FOI Act:-

i) ask for a review of the FOI Act decision (decision looked at again) by the section which released the redacted document (if still refused they usually give you the next step to take)
    ii) apply to have the decision reviewed by the relevant Government Department HQ, to have the redacted information released
    iii) if still being refused, you can then apply in writing to the Information Commissioner (ICO) and see if the Information Commissioner feels that the Government Department or Service is being unreasonable in withholding or redacting the information, you want to see?

Looking through all the paragraphs in the "Purchase of Discharge" Sections, it appears purchase of discharge could be made for all manner of reasons.

The K.R. 652 clauses are under titles from (6) onward.

"For Disciplinary Reasons" starts at (6) to (9)
    652 (6) is With ignominy
    652 (7) is For misconduct
    652 (8) is Having been convicted by the Civil Power of felony
    652 (9) is Having been sentenced to penal servitude

"At His Own Request" (10) to (14)

"Services No Longer Required" (15) to (25)

So it does not seem anything bad?

What did he do after his RAF Service? Documents seen at TNA, Kew, have names of people working in intelligence or as agents redacted?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 18th January 2014 at 22:01.