Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 324 wing brindisi Italy

Thanks

Default 324 wing brindisi Italy

I was wondering if anyone can help me ? My father passed away recently and I found out he was in the R.A.F in brindisi during the war as far as I am aware he was a leading aircraft man, I also found some of his old photos on the back of one it says 324 wing 1946 ,my questions are what was a leading aircraft man and what did the 324 wing do ? Thanks for any help you can give me .

Thanks

Default 234 (F) Wing

G'day Chris

No. 234 Wing was a fighter wing. Depending when in 1946 the photos were take, it could have been Zeltweg, Austria or Tissano,Italy.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hi chris
    Thanks for replying so promptly the only thing I know is that he was based in brindisi and he used to work on the spitfires and the lancasters ? Although I don't know what duties a leading aircraft man does ? Hope this makes sense I have also filled out the relavant paperwork to get his service record and medal awards, thankfully my mother is still alive and signed the relevant paperwork for us to find out .
    Kind regards
    Chris

Thanks

Perhaps he worked on Liberators and or fighter planes in Italy ? There is a little about 324 wing in google .148 squadron RAF was based at Brindisi WW2, flying Halifaxes
    Lancasters were based in England during WW2

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 14th January 2014 at 20:52.

Thanks

Has anybody else noticed that Chris45 asked about 324 Wing but Chris/Dakota has supplied information on 234 Wing? Once this confusion is sorted out, progress should be rapid!
    David D

Thanks

Chris45,
    Leading Aircraftman (not normally written as Aircraft Man, although usually abbreviated as LAC), was an ordinary airman classification (and usually known as an "erk"). "Erks" could be an LAC, an AC1 (Aircraftman 1st class) or an AC2 (Aircraftman 2nd class). Progress was from AC2 to AC1 to LAC, with progressive increases in pay, but they held no "rank" as such. AC2 and AC1 wore no badges at all, but LACs were isued with the famous "propeller" badge worn on the upper sleeve of jackets, etc., to denote their superior status. Incidentally these advancements were officially "reclassifications" and NOT promotions, although the pay increases were very welcome! However, like the two lower classifications, LACs could not give commands or orders, and had to immediately obey all orders from all superior ranks, especially NCOs (non commissioned officers), who normally supervised all lower airmen. Without knowledge of his trade, there is no way of knowing what his duties in the RAF might have been; however this should all be detailed in his record of service, so wait for that to arrive, then ask any further questions which may arrive, as these records are quite cryptic and may appear completely baffling till you get the hang of them.
    David D

Thanks

Hi David
    Thanks for your reply it was very informative, and yes I think your advise is something which I will take into consideration, just a little bit more now to confuse matters whilst going through my fathers photos I came across a few of spitfires and one which is a lancaster on closer inspection of this photo I managed to see the numbers on the underside of the wing and part of the lettering on the fuselage , these are as follows underwing is TW657 and I can only see TL on the fuselage, when I googled these on the internet I found that this plane was based in graveley SQN 35 mardas presidency and was on tour USA 1946, but how my father got this photo in Italy I guess I will never know ?

Thanks

Hello Chris,

Group Captain W.G.G. Duncan Smith commanded 324 Wing in Italy from November 1943 to March 1945.
    In his book "Spitfire into Battle" he gives an account of his time with the Wing, which will give you a good background to the times, places and events in which your father served his country.

Ray.

Thanks

Hi ray
    Thank you ever so much for your information I will look into getting the book and having a good read
    Kind regards
    Chris

Thanks

Default 324 (F) Wing

G'day Dave

The gen is right, I just had a brain fart when typing the Wing number

Cheers...Chris