Thread: 26 0tu/91 Group

julie Guest

Default 26 0tu/91 Group

My fathers name was Harold, he was a flight seargent in the raf, has anyone heard of him or know anything about the group or squadron, he was in from 1934 to 1945, moreover, if anyone can explain what the numbers and letters represent, that would be a great help.
    Thanks
    Julie

Thanks

Hello Julie,

As Amrit wrote on another post: it would help if you can tell us the first and last name of your father, and perhaps were he was from.

Regards,

Leendert

julie Guest

Default 26 Otu/91 Group

Mr fathers name was Harold Eddolls, and he spent most of his service in the raf in Palestine, he was born in south wales, uk.
    Last edited by julie; 23rd May 2008 at 20:04.

Thanks

Default ianh

Hi Julie

It's not clear from your post what you may already know about your father's service, so please excuse me if the following is telling you things you do already know ...

"OTU" = "Operational Training Unit". As the name implies, a 'final stage' unit through which aircrews passed in their training before joining operational squadrons and starting to fly 'real' ops. Now that's not 100% accurate as from time to time OTU's were called upon to provide aircraft and crews to beef-up the main strength of Bomber Command on raids, such as the '1,000 Bomber' Raids on Cologne, Essen and Bremen in 1942. Other than those lost during 'routine' training, quite a few OTU crews were lost on such raids, thus being killed before they'd got properly started on ops.

26 OTU was one such training unit, one of 14 (I think) within '91 Group' (itself one of a number of Training groups within RAF Bomber Command).

Others may correct me if I'm misleading you on all this or may be able to add more info (I don't claim to be an expert and am relying simply on the details in the back of Bill Chorley's book on 'OTU Losses 1940-1947'), but he gives 26 OTU's HQ as being at Wing in Buckinghamshire between June '45 and March '46 while its satellite base (presumably from where the flying (also?) took place) was Little Horwood, also in Bucks (Jun to Nov '45).

OTU's used a wide range of different a/c, but I think that the most commonly-used one for Bomber OTU's was the Vickers Wellington.

Maybe you know more about your father's service. If he was 'in Palestine' perhaps he was ground crew out there before transferring across to train as aircrew at 26 OTU in '45; or maybe he passed through OTU before going out to the Middle East.

Anyway, hope this general snippet might help in some way.

Ian

Thanks

Julie, Hi,
    According to rafweb 26 OTU seems to have had various Parent Formations - 7 Group, 92 Group, and 91 Group. It did not, apparently, transfer to the control of 91 Group until 15 Jun 45. 26 OTU disbanded on 4 Mar 46. So if your father was in the RAF from 1934 to 1945, it looks as if 26 OTU - at RAF Wing - may have been his last posting before demobilisation.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

julie Guest

Default Thanks Resmoroh and Ian

I think that you are correct in your assumption that my father was in 26 OTU/91 Group just before he was demobolised, as the booklet I have is signed and dated 1945, but, unfortunately, it is my only reference to his Raf career, apart from several photo's of him taking part in sports activities with the Raf in Palestine, where he received a silver medal at San Remo Hotel in Bnei Brak 1936 for Hurdling, he played rugby, 'Raf against Egypt for the cup' (on photo) plus several photo's of him with a football team.
    In the booklet ( Raf service and release) it says that he was a flight seargent and for Raf trade, it has 'transport', and thats about all I have, not a lot for someone who was in for so long.

Thanks

Julie,
    If his trade was 'transport', that normally is known in the RAF as "MT" - Motor Transport. From my own experience (and I think that other ex-RAF members of this Forum will back me up!!) Flight Sergeants(MT) were not to be "mucked about with" - they were only slightly less fearsome than Warrant Officers(MT)!!!!
    You need to get his official Service Record - and as NoK you can. Others on this Forum are far more expert in the mechanics of doing that! There are several MT Drivers web-sites. You might try your luck there.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default 26 Otu

There you are Julie, I said others could give you more info on OTU's than I was able to.

Well done that man! Keep up the good work Peter.

:-)

Ian

julie Guest

Default Thanks Resmoroh

Your right ofcourse, about getting his official Service Records, and I am in the process of trying to do that, although I'm not sure how much information about his sporting activities in the raf will be on them, and it was this I was trying to focus on. However, I have found out that during the war my mother lived in Odiham, Hampshire, when he was overseas, so presumably that would have been his base. (well atleast one of them) and he
    was also at Farborough, no mention of Wing.
    He did drive Austin trucks across the Sahara, as I remember his stories about speed traps in the desert, so presumably he would have been a driver, although, I have to say, that
    he doesn't remotely fit your description of a scarey flight sergeant, on the contrary, he was a very mild mannered person, quite a small chap really, played fly-half in rugby, not remotely intimidating, maybe things were different in those days!
    Julie