Thread: 124 Squadron Casualties, St. Omer-Boulogne, 13 March 1942

Thanks

Default 124 Squadron Casualties, St. Omer-Boulogne, 13 March 1942

In regard to the below archived post, can anyone please provide me Sgt Plt E. Pendleton's forename, please? I believe he was American.

Thanks
    Steve

<<<<

P/O M.M. REID, 124 Squadron
    Author: Joss Leclercq (Guest)
    Time Stamp: 17:27:11 22 January 2007

I'm trying to find details about P/O Michael Gordon Meston REID, 116060, who is buried in Hardinghem churchyard in the Pas-de-Calais. The date of death stated on his grave is 7 August 1942. I haven't been able to find details about it in secondary sources, or I was blind... He was a member of No. 124 (Baroda) Squadron, and probably flying a Spitfire VI from Debden.

Three of the other casualties buried in Hardinghem died of their wounds in the village German naval hospital, I'm wondering if this is also the case for Reid, but perhaps I haven't been too far back in time ?

Thanks in advance
    Joss

RE: P/O M.M. REID, 124 Squadron
    Author: Henk Welting (Guest)
    Time Stamp: 18:59:12 22 January 2007

Joss,

AA761 - Circus 114 - 13-3-1942 - inj - PoW - died 7-8-1942.

Regards,
    Henk.

Author: Andy Ingham (Guest)
    Time Stamp: 19:06:57 22 January 2007

The information given by Henk is the same as is in Franks, FCL vol 2 Page 16.

AA761 was a Spitfire Vb.

There is no mention of the final fate of this A/C in 'Spitfire the History'.

Andy

Author: plannthin
    Time Stamp: 19:14:25 22 January 2007

I have AA761 shot down by Fw190s nr St.Omer 13-3-42 P/O M G M Reid PoW died 7-8-42.

Mikkel

Time Stamp: 19:35:37 22 January 2007

hello,

Many thanks to you three. Indeed I didn't go back far enough in time. Although not unusual to have long stay in German hospitals, I've always found (especially in the PoW questionnaire of the WO344 series) that after initial treatment in France or Belgium, the allied airmen were sent in military hospitals in Germany. This is a very long stay in a German military cemetery in France. Probably Reid was not transportable and the German doctors decided to keep him in Hardinghem naval hospital.

Joss

Author: Fairlop
    Time Stamp: 20:28:14 22 January 2007

Salut Joss,

I described the Circus 114 in one of my articles for Revi in details. P/O Reid was s/d by Ofw. Ufer of 4./JG 26 near Hardinghen. Two minutes later Hptm. Muncheberg killed Czech F/L Kulhanek at Offrethun and third member of the Baroda Squadron, Sgt Pendleton b/o his damaged P8797 after attack of Oblt. Ebersberger. The mission already started with problems when five Spits returned to Biggin Hill due to engines ...

I have pictures of Reid's c/l AA761 somewhere. Maybe his picture too. On the pictures which were made not long after landing on a field, I remember a man who looked like an English fighter. At first sight in good condition. When I tried to find out why Reid died so long after the fight in Hardinghen Naval Hospital it interested me that man because he was dressed poorly compared to Germans around him and bad, cold weather. A shock and pneumonia are not for health ...

Regards,
    Michal

Time Stamp: 20:37:41 22 January 2007

Revi magazine has shortcut version of the article on the Net. See http://www.revi.cz/cz/revi/45_1.html

Michal

RE: P/O M.G.M. REID, 124 Squadron
    Time Stamp: 11:48:55 24 January 2007

Hello,

A pity I don't read Czech !

I remember you asked me, a couple of years ago, if I could identify the place where Spitfire coded ON-A (hence a No. 124 Squadron) was photographed after a forced-landing. The serial number was not decipherable on the scan, neither the surrounding enough to locate the area.

Joss

Time Stamp: 19:25:47 24 January 2007

Joss,

Czech language is more complicated than Japanese.

In unpublished second part of the article is described why it is Reid's machine (without s/n) from a lot of downed No.124 a/c until May - June 1942 on French soil. The place is very close to Hardinghen and I was able to localize it in 2001.

I found his picture if you want.

regards,
    Michal

Time Stamp: 19:56:55 24 January 2007

hello Michal,

Many thanks for your offer of picture(s). My e-mail address is still the same. I'd be interested in the location as well.

Joss

Time Stamp: 21:25:35 24 January 2007

E-mail on a way.

Michal

>>>>
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve, I can only confirm from the Czech article by Michal that Sgt Plt E. Pendleton was American and was captured.
    You can find him in the PoW list by Ross:

L3 24789 Pendleton E 1383291 RAF American

Unfortunately his Service Number does not appear in the LG

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello

I have tried WO 344/249/1 for a E. PENDELTON, but didn't find him. I can't tell whether I have also checked PENDLETON, as you write it, as it was many years ago, but I can try this other spelling during my next visit at Kew, or maybe someone else can have a look before.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Pavel and Joss

I appreciate you taking the time to look.

Actually, there's a further pilot on Circus 114 whose forename I've not been able to establish: 602 Sqn's Dutch Fg Off E. W. Ferwerda. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm