Thread: Sgt TH Goacher DFM - A/G with 97 on Augsburg Raid

Thanks

Default Sgt TH Goacher DFM - A/G with 97 on Augsburg Raid

Sgt 545214 TH Goacher DFM - A/G with 97 on Augsburg Raid

During research of 34 Sqd SAAF, came across a P/O Goacher who did at least one mission with 34 SAAF as an A/G

26 Aug 44 LibVI EW235 'M' bombing Pesaro unsure who was a/c captain as crew list includes 3 pilots (all SAAF) Lt Hall - probable captain, Lt Col Moll the new 34 CO (probable 2nd pilot) & Maj Smuts (probable extra pilot)

An ex 34 RAFVR A/G remembers a Harry Goacher who had been on the Augsburg Raid, so presumably this the same guy

From LGazette have been able to track Goacher DFM's career wich includes a Bar to DFM awarded 10 Aug 43 whilst a F/Sgt on 619 Sqd

Commissioning (from WO) 24 Sept 43

and subsequent steps unto retirement (F/Lt) in October 1966, having at one time been a Sqd Ldr and moving to Secretarial Branch and then back (?) to General Duties Branch

Now the Questions

1) Can anyone supply citations for his DFM's - as I understand it DFM and Bar is a relatively rare combination and to an A/G possibly rarer still

2) Can anyone supply info re move to 34 SAAF and other info on his time with them
    I'm wondering if he possibly went to ME as an Instructor (say 1675 HCU) and then
    moved across to 34 SAAF

3) Any info on his later(post war) career

Thanks in advance

PZULBA - Out of Africa (Retired)

Thanks

From Tavenderís The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War : -

GOACHER, Thomas Henry 545214 Sergeant No. 97 Sqn. (Immediate)
    L.G. 28/4/1942 Sorties 6, Flying hours 38.20. Air Gunner. Air2/8466

This NCO took part as rear gunner in the daylight attack on the diesel engine factory at Augsburg. This flight entailed a daylight crossing of enemy occupied territory, a total of approximately 900 miles. Throughout the whole sortie, Sergeant Goacher showed the greatest possible pluck and determination and, in spite of the aircraft being hit in a number of places, he carried out his duties with calmness and efficiency, thereby materially helping in the complete success of the operation.
    19th. April 1942

GOACHER, Thomas Henry DFM 545214 Flight Sergeant No. 619 Sqn. (Bar to DFM)
    LG 13/8/1943. Sorties 36, Flying hours 196.45, Air Gunner, Air2/8974

Flight Sergeant Goacher has been rear gunner on 36 operational sorties. His conduct and determination in face of the enemy sets a fine example of courage and selflessness. As an example of his courage, he was the rear gunner of an aircraft detailed to attack Bochum on 12/13th. of June 1943, and although his turret was damaged before reaching the target, the crew pressed on to the attack.
    29th. June 1943

Remarks by Station Commander.
    He maintained a high standard of enthusiasm and determination and has been a fine example of what a good member of aircrew should be.

--

Douglas

Thanks

Note that Tavender also supplied the sources for these citations (AIR 2/8466 and AIR 2/8974) at Kew. There is every likelihood that the documents will supply more detail - specifically, lists of sorties flown by Goacher.

Thanks

My father flew with 34 Sqdn SAAF and mentioned that Harry Goacher, one of crew from the Augsburg Raid gunners flew with him. Sortie Reports confirm that on the 19th and 22nd September PO Goacher flew as Air Gunner with Lt Martinusen, attacking the Szekesfehervar M/Yds and San Bendetto pontoon bridge respectively. I too wonder how that came to be but there is a photo of P/O Goucher taken at Lydda, Palestine, in April/May 1944 on group photo of 31 & 34 Sqdn crews on a conversion course. Records of 97 Sqdn state that he transferred to 619 Sqdn in 22 April 1943 but I have yet to find a record, other than the photo, of him transferring to 34 Sqdn SAAF.

On the Augsburg raid, he was rear gunner for pilot Hallows.