Thread: Liberator 53 sq in Spain

Thanks

Default Liberator 53 sq in Spain

Greetings partners, here I leave you another case, a liberator of the 53 sq demolished by a wolf pack the 05/07/1943 and the crew was the following one:

W. Anderson
    I.C. Bradshaw
    B. Tomlinson
    N. Lord
    C. Coley
    R. Robinson
    H. Sheeran

I don't have numeral of the airplane neither the liberator type.
    Did all die? I have data that the day 7 the body of a manning one appeared in a beach but not you if all died or on the contrary you except for some.
    Thank you
    Agustin

Thanks

On 5 July 1943 F/S. W. Anderson (RNZAF) and crew were on a 'Muskertry' patrol in Liberator GR.V BZ751/G. They had passed their PLE and were heading for home when they sighted three U-boats. An attack was was made on one of them but the first run had to be abandoned when the U-boat took violent evasive action. On the second run, the DCs hung up. Fortunately, all went well on the third run and eight Dcs were dropped, right on the mark, U 535 a highly-prized Type IXC/40 auxiliary tanker commanded by Klt Helmut Ellmenreich went straight to the bottom.

Throughout the action, U 535 and the other two, U 536 and U 170 had put up a great deal of flak and the Liberator was damaged in the wings, fuselage and tailplane. One of the beam gunners was wounded.

'United In Effort' The Story of No.53 Squadron RAF 1916-1976. - Jock Manson.

Liberator BZ751 was Struck Off Charge on 5-2-1946

Regards
    Peter.
    Last edited by peter; 24th April 2008 at 22:46.

Freshman Guest

Default Liberator 53 sq in Spain

Augustin,
    The following is an extract from, 'United in Effort - The Story of No.53 Squadron, Royal Air Force 1916-1976' by Jock Manson:
    "Flight Sgt. W Anderson (RNZAF) and crew were on a "Musketry" patrol in BZ751/G on 5 July. They had passed their Prudent Limit of Endurance and were heading for home when they sighted three U-boats at 4338N 0913W. An attack was made on one of them but the first run had to be abandoned when the U-boats took violent evasive action. On the second run the depth charges hung up! Fortunately, all went well on the third run and eight DCs were dropped, right on the mark. U 535, a highly prized Type IXC/40 auxilliary tanker commanded by Klt. Helmut Ellmenreich, went straight to the bottom.
    She was on her first patrol. Throughtout the action, U-535 and the other two, U 536 and U 170, had put up a great deal of flak and the Liberator was damaged in the wings, fuselage and tailplane. One of the beam gunners was wounded."

Air-Britain BA100 - BZ999 gives:
    Liberator; BZ751; Mk.V; Nos 53, 59 and 311 Sqns.; SOC 5.2.46.
    Hope this helps, Tony

Thanks

Many thank you for your help, with the means that I prepare it would take a lot of time in getting these data.
    Muchas gracias y saludos.
    Agustin