Thread: Short Stirling LK573 - 1661 HCU RAF Winthorpe - Crash Landing 26 September 1944

Thanks

Default Short Stirling LK573 - 1661 HCU RAF Winthorpe - Crash Landing 26 September 1944

Can anyone help please regarding the crash landing of a Stirling on 26 September 1944, in which my uncle Flight Sergeant Ronald Quiney was navigator.

My uncle was coming to the end of his training at 1661 HCU at RAF Winthorpe. The flying log book of the wireless operator of the crew indicates that on 26 September 1944, they took off at 09:05 in Stirling serial number LK573 to carry out an exercise in cross country & air-sea firing. The captain was Flight Sergeant McIntosh & the Log Book states “2 engined crash landing” & gives a flying time of 3:40.

The crew completed their training at 1661 HCU so there were no fatalities but there may have been injuries. They went on to serve with 106 Squadron at RAF Metheringham but sadly were killed in action on 14 January 1945.

Does anyone have any information about this incident please (eg where it occurred, what caused it, under what circumstances, what happened to the crew, the history and fate of this aircraft)?

Thanks in anticipation of someone’s help.
    Researching Bomber Command crew F/Off D R McIntosh RAAF, Sgt F A Kendall RAF, F/Sgt R A Quiney RAF, F/Sgt R H Thomson RAF, F/Sgt W H Butt RAAF, Sgt G Fletcher RAF, Sgt D S Ford RAF. All KIA 14 January 1945 serving with 106 Squadron, RAF Metheringham.

Thanks

Hi,

LK573 was a fairly new Stirling built by Austin in Birmingham as a B.III ,sometime between March and April 1944,but then converted to Mk IV transport, probably while on the line.198 Stirlings were converted from BIII to IV by Austin.

Chorleys book on HCCU losses does not mention this incident, so maybe the result was not as extreme as the log book entry might suggest. Nor are there any mentions on surrounding days.
    The night before the unit lost LK561 as the result of double engine loss the crew bailing out except regretfully the pilot.
    The Air Britain file says that LK573 served with 1661 coded as GP-F, the F having a bar over it to denote a second F on the unit. Officially it was SOC by them on 5.6.47.
    As I believe 1661 converted to Lancasters in Feb 1945 or partially even earlier then the struck off date may have been a paper exercise so not helping us much.

Finally back to the oldies, never beaten!....MJF Bowyers Stirling history which lists histories from the Aircraft Movement Cards has....
    LK573 built as Mk IV by Austin. Delivered 1661 HCU 23.4.44. Flying Accident 25.7.44 and then Flying Accident 26.9.44. Then 6 MU 23.11.44. SOC 24.4.45 BUT then to 23 MU 13.6.45 and struck off a second time 5.6.47.

Seems we need someone with 1661 ORB.
    cheers
    Peter
    -

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for your reply with some interesting information.

I think I'll see if I can get hold of copies of the Aircraft Movement Card & Accident Card for LK573 from the RAF Museum at Hendon to see if they throw more light on the incident on 26 September 1944.

If anyone has access to the 1661 HCU ORB's or other documents covering the period then I'd be very pleased to hear from them.

Regards,

Ronald
    Researching Bomber Command crew F/Off D R McIntosh RAAF, Sgt F A Kendall RAF, F/Sgt R A Quiney RAF, F/Sgt R H Thomson RAF, F/Sgt W H Butt RAAF, Sgt G Fletcher RAF, Sgt D S Ford RAF. All KIA 14 January 1945 serving with 106 Squadron, RAF Metheringham.