Thread: Aircraft Type: Lancaster Serial number: ND 587 Radio call sign: LQ – P

Thanks

Default Aircraft Type: Lancaster Serial number: ND 587 Radio call sign: LQ – P

Dear All,

Lancaster ND587 is reported crashed near Gallaix. Belgium.This is quite correct.But I should clarify the exact spot.
    The plane went down on the territory of Maulde, the neighboring village of Gallaix.
    The approximate coordinates are : 50°36'19 78" N 3° 33' 42 49" E
    Thank you kindly for taking note of this précision.
    I've met the farmer, owner of the field where the plane crashed in, and he testyfies the spot on his field.

Best regards from Belgium.

Phil
    Phil in Belgium

Thanks

Hello Phil

That's a Lancaster Mk III, which was delivered to No. 405 Squadron from No. 32 Maintenance Unit in February 1944. Lost during the night 8/9th May 1944. LQ is the code of No. 405 Squadron.

Do you have access to Chorley Bomber Command Losses ?

Joss

Thanks

Mais oui,mon cher Joss.Vu l'extension de mes recherches,il devenait indispensable que je m'offre la collection des bouquins de Chorley.Je me suis aussi "fendu" de la collection de Norman L.R. Franks pour les chasseurs. On ne fait du bon travail qu'avec de bons outils.
    Bien ŕ toi,

Phil
    Phil in Belgium

Thanks

Default latitude/longitude question

Thank you very much for posting a lat/long here. However, I am difficulty interpreting these numbers, which appear to be in a form I've not seen before:

50°36'19 78" N 3° 33' 42 49" E

In particular, I'm not sure what the "19" and the "42" mean. I'm accustomed to either a decimal representation of lat/long or a degrees, minutes, seconds representation. Your numbers seem similar to the latter, but again I do not understand the 19 and 42. It did occur to me that you might mean 19.78 seconds and 42.49 seconds. Is that the intended meaning?

If you could straighten me out on this, I'd be grateful.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by philsave View Post
    Dear All,

Lancaster ND587 is reported crashed near Gallaix. Belgium.This is quite correct.But I should clarify the exact spot.
    The plane went down on the territory of Maulde, the neighboring village of Gallaix.
    The approximate coordinates are : 50°36'19 78" N 3° 33' 42 49" E
    Thank you kindly for taking note of this précision.
    I've met the farmer, owner of the field where the plane crashed in, and he testyfies the spot on his field.

Best regards from Belgium.

Phil