Thread: WW1 Aerial Photos - Avion, Lens area

Thanks

Default WW1 Aerial Photos - Avion, Lens area

I came across a few aerial photographs taken over the northern France/ southern Belgium area in 1917.
    They were in a steamer-trunk of Private William RODGER 464370 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles.
    It appeared that the photographs had been undisturbed in the trunk since WW1.

I scanned the photos and posted them to the RAFCommands Members Photo Gallery.

Lt.-Col. G. Chalmers Jhonston, D.S.O., M.C. (Commanding Officer of 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles) writes, in his published diary, of going up in an aircraft during a training exercise to learn about aerial photography. I do not know if the photographs in Rodger's trunk, and posted to this site, are from that training exercise.

Forum discussion and/or further information about the photographs will be of interest.

Thank you.

P.S. Rodger was born 1892.Sep.14 at Glasgow then came to Canada in 1910.
    He died in Vancouver in 1969. No relatives can be found in Canada or the UK.

Thanks

I see on the images posted it says X-36C...etc on the title strip, these are grid references pinpointing the location of each image in region 36C which tallies with the names you mention. As it happens there are some really affordable maps available from the Western Front Association if you want to go down the road of further research.

The link below will take you to the area concerned but also gives extra background on map references as used during WW1. Grids reference are not the same as we see today.
    http://www.westernfrontassociation.c...h-map-dvd.html

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Pierre
    Thanks for the info on how to interpret the title-strip on the photos;
    and for the info on, and and web-link to, grid-mapping of the Western Front during WW1.

The people in possession of the original photos don't seem to want to spend any money.
    I had a difficult time getting their permission to post the scans online.
    They relented when I told them the scans would all be low-resolution under (1.0 mb).

"The best way to preserve information is to share it."
    I don't know who first said that but it sounds good to me.