Thread: No. 48 ACR7c Course, 50s

Thanks

Default No. 48 ACR7c Course, 50s

Hi all,

I am looking for help, particulary from ground radar expert.

1. I decoded the above mentioned course like course of GCA, ACR being Airfield Control Radar - anybody can confirm pls?
    2. Mr. Google helped me that ACR-7C was RAF name for GCA radar from Cossor, possibly Cossor CR 787? and ACR-7D was Decca 424 - anybody can confirm pls or correct?
    3. I am looking for brief description how this raadar works or what was the main procedure.
    4. I am looking for photo of the radar and/or the working place of its operator.

Any help much appreciated

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel, The RAF had 6 vehicle mounted Cossor ACR-7C (range 25 miles) radars mainly based at flying training units. Cossor 787 was a much more modern radar having a range of 100 miles and the luxury of Moving Target Indicator.
    ACR7-D was a airfield surveillance radar made by Decca. It had 5m solid orange peel shaped reflector - truncated parabola. It had two transmitters housed below the reflector with a changeover switch between the two. Range was 25 miles. Average power was 12w, pulse width 0.5 micro sec, PRF 1000pps. Rotation was 25 rpm. On short range pulse width was switchable to 0.1 microsecs. Data and trigger info was fed to ATC via underground coaxial cable.
    Decca 424 was similar to the 7D using some compatible sub assemblies. The reflector was slatted to allow for faster rotation of 50 rpm. A single transmitter was housed beneath the reflector with its own power supply. Power output was 20w. Qty 2 PPI's were mounted in the cabin. Both had circular polarisation. Regards Ian Muir

Thanks

Thank you for useful info Ian.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz