Thread: Sq\Ldr P F G Alcock DFC. Where was he 1941-44.

Thanks

Default Sq\Ldr P F G Alcock DFC. Where was he 1941-44.

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to his forum and came across it trying to find out about my uncle Peter (of the title). By looking through past posts here I ordered ORB's for 78 Sqdn & 139 Sqdn (1943-45) and as a result know what he got up to - well almost. He was in 78 Sqdn for 4 months (srgt) cutting his operational teeth on Whitley's - 11 sorties. His fifth was the ill fated Bremen bombing on the 11/12 feb '41 and was co-pilot in the A/C that crash landed nr. Kilmarnock (seen the Linton-on-ouse Op's board photo.) Unfortunately the Summary of events doesn't list postings, at least not for rank and file so I don't know where he went from here at the end of April 1941.
    139 Sqdn summary of events does show postings but this didn't help as he arrives here from 1655 mosquito training unit (MTU) late in September 1944 for the last six months of the war (F/Lft then Sq/Ldr) with main navigators A J Riddle DFC & G A L Webby. 1655 MTU ORB is not digitised at TNA and I currently can't get there.
    Has Anyone come across him in any other squadron/s? Family myth has him flying Wellingtons & Halifaxes and any help would be most appreciated.
    Thanks Jim.

Thanks

No.1655 MCU ORB lists him as posted out 23 Sept 1944 to No.139 Sqn.

No mention by name when he arrived but weather permitting the course was 4 weeks duration.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

ALCOCK, Peter Frederick Granville, F/L (115866, RAFVR*) - No.139 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 21 September 1945. Citation in Air Ministry Bulletin 19736.

"Flight Lieutenant Alcock has completed numerous sorties, thirteen of which were against Berlin. On the night of 26th March, 1945, one engine was hit by anti-aircraft fire at the start of the bombing run. Despite the damage done to the aircraft, he continued the run and successfully completed the allotted task."

Thanks

Jim,

Welcome to the forum. From your post I don't think you've accessed your uncle's service record from the RAF. Details as to how to proceed are at https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records . There is a search fee (30 the last I saw) and a longish wait for a response, but if you are looking for details as to the units with with he served - and the dates - these will all be recorded on the document.

If he survived the war, but died more than 25 years ago, you will need to provide a death certificate. Whatever, all the details are on the above link.

Brian

Thanks

Thank you all, ever so much for this information, what a quick response!
    Brian - thanks for this, I am aware that his service record will include all that I would like to know on this front but Peter only died a coupe of years ago and his wife is still alive. From what I understand I would need written permission from her (as official next of kin) to get a copy and I'm reluctant to bother her at this point on this subject, they were very close and Peter was noted for his reluctance to discuss his life in the RAF. If I can get nothing from 1655's ORB, which now seems a little unlikely from Ross's information (thanks Ross), I will have to have another think.
    Hugh - thanks for the citation, I knew when he was awarded the DFC but not why. I'd assumed it was based purely on doing a double tour (100+ sorties). I'd read the relevant date in the record of events in 139 ORB (he made it back & landed safely) but there is no mention in the summary of his being put up for the DFC.
    Thank you all again,
    Jim.

Thanks

Hello

Actually, it would be simpler if the widow could ask the record of service directly, and it would be free for her, as the widow of the serviceman. I understand that her age might be a problem. I'd suggest you write the letter with her name and address, and have her sign it...

The record of service is only a record of postings, with dates, but it helps a lot to trace the whereabouts of an airman, and then go to the unit's ORBs, etc...

Joss

Thanks

Joss - you are right, in theory, but my aunt lives in Canada and Peter died sufficiently recently for her to possibly get upset about nephews wanting to dig about in such matters, especially as he himself was so reluctant to discuss it. As I'm fond of my aunt, who really is lovely woman, I'd rather not know than upset her. I will be trying some slightly more round about methods via her son. Thanks for the interest though.
    Jim.