Thread: Flying Officer R P Dixon

Thanks

Default Flying Officer R P Dixon

After trying a bit of research again i keep getting pushed to your site so thought i would give it a go.
    Im looking for any info on Flying Officer R P Dixon who was killed in a Hurricane accident Nr Cockermouth in Nov 1943. We have small amount of info in that it was his last training flight before going operational, and that it happened whilst attacking a convoy on the main road. He was at 55 OTU RAF Annan arriving there in Oct. I was in contact with the Museum at RAF Millom but i believe they have closed ther doors for now. He was my wifes uncle and is buried in Send Nr Guildford Surrey.
    If any one has any info. Many Thanks

Thanks

Aviator, Hi and Welcome,

His Commissioning is:-

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE. GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency): —
    Ldg. Acm. 20 Feb 43

1395918 Robert Philip DIXON (150191).

His Enlisted number (1395918) indicates that he Enlisted (probably) towards the end of 1941 at Euston.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

According to the ORB for 55 OTU he joined them on October 5th, coming from 56 OTU, where he had been since at least the start of September (he is mentioned on the 6th in the logbook of R.K. Dean).

I don't know why he went from one OTU to another.

John Engelsted

Thanks

Robert Philip Dixon is listed on ancestry.co.uk's National Probate Calendar: DIXON Robert Philip of Southernwood, West Clandon, Surrey, died 13th November 1943 on war service. Administration Llandudno 9 September to Robert Stanley Dixon, architect.

'Air Crashes in the Lake District', Michael J Hurst, has Hurricane I Z4875 of 55 O.T.U. crashed at Milestone, near Moota. It was on a training flight from RAF Annan. P/O R P Dixon 150191 killed, wreckage removed by a salvage unit.

He has been discussed on here previously, in the 'Unaccounted Airmen' posts:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...men-13-11-1943

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi guys thanks for the welcome, bit overwhelmed with amount of info you have so thank you very much, we visited what we thought was the crash site but now i will have to look it up again and see if we were in the right place. I have just checked his log book which i scanned some pages and he lists as being at 56 OTU Tealing from 10th of August 1943, I see your point John as to why he went from one OTU to another. Interesting to note Simon that you say from the book he was flying a Hurricane I, His last entry under types flown was a Hurricane IIB. Also the last flying entries were from Nov 6th to Nov 11th a Hurricane II. I dont know if thats relevant or what the difference was between a MK1 and II. I recall somewhere we had some info that he had been told off about low flying, but cant find this at the moment, the info we have was that they were practicing shooting up a convoy, and he had planned to approach as the lead vehicle passed a gateway, obviously he was too low and we believe hit the vehicle although we cant confirm that. A farmer found him still in the cockpit but apparently deceased, again we cant confirm this. We also think that his CO was flying another aircraft in the same formation. Again many thanks for the info any more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi again, John just found out why he moved from to another 56 OTU Tealing disbanded on the 5th Oct which explains the move. They also used Hurricanes. 55 also used Masters which is also in his log book.

Thanks

Hi John

just for info

From F/O Dixons logbook he mentions F/O Dean on the 12/08/43 in a entry for close formation flying along with P/O Hughes.
    He has no entry on the 6th. He flew Sept 30th and then not again until Oct 7th when he flew a sector Recce

Thanks

Have you looked up the squadron and station ORB's at Kew?
    Regards,
    Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Entry from the No.55 OTU F540

November 13th 1943, “Accident to Hurricane IA Z4875 at Milestone Moor, Moota Nr. Cockermouth, Cumberland, 150191 P/O Dixon R.P. killed. Cause of accident: Pilot was authorised to carry out a solo low flying practice, but apparently decided en-route to simulate a low flying attack on an Army Convoy, during the course of which he struck an Army vehicle and hit a stone wall.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Nick/Al
    Thanks for the info yes i have been given photo copies of the ORB and the F540.

Have visited the crash site recently and have doubts about the 540.
    The more i look into it i think it was just a tragic accident in that he clipped the trees whilst low flying. he doesnt appear to have hit anything in the convoy. I believe he was flying alone, and possible he was flying to impress.
    Other info im looking for is where he took off from. I know that 55 OTU had a detachment at Great Orton and his flying logbook suggests this also. But were they accommodated their as well. I am trying to trace all his movements for his family and thanks to so many of you guys that research this stuff have come up with more than we could have hoped for. Any more would be a bonus but i fear i am exhausting all now.

Many Thanks to all