Thread: Sqn ldr desmond leslie "mitch" mitchell

Thanks

Default Sqn ldr desmond leslie "mitch" mitchell

Morning all, this is my first step in trying to trace my father's logbook and any other details of his service life.

I would therefore be most grateful to hear from anyone who knew SQN LDR DESMOND LESLIE MITCHELL; known as MITCH.

He joined up in 1939; trained pilots in Pietersburg, South Africa, pilotted bombers up through italy late in the war. He got a Q Commission when we were at Watton in 1950/1; switched to helicopters and went off to Malaya in the early 50's. Then we were at Cosford, then I think Market Drayton, then RAF Seletar in S'pore, then Odiham, Northolt (Met. Comm. Sqn) then Rudloe Manor, British Guiana for their independence and doing forest CasEvacs, Changi, Old Sarum and he retired in 1973-ish from Odiham. He died around 10 years ago.

Does anyone out there know of him?

Also, can anyone please advise how I can get a view of his pilot's log book and his service record, please.

Kind Regards,

Kim MITCHELL

Thanks

Kim, Hi and Welcome,

From the London Gazette:-

Enlisted (911102) Sep 1939 Uxbridge

Air Ministry, 8th June, 1950.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the publication of the following personnel who have been commended: —
    KING'S COMMENDATIONS FOR VALUABLE SERVICE IN THE AIR.
    Pilots II. .
    Desmond Leslie MITCHELL (911102), R.A.F.

GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Appointment to commission {permanent).
    As Pilot Officers (Branch Officers) .—
    Flight Sergeants.
    25th Mar. 1954.
    911102 Desmond Leslie MITCHELL (911102).

Promotion.
    Pilot Officer to Flying Officer :—
    25th Mar. 1957. D. L. MITCHELL (911102).

Promotion
    Flying Officer to Flight Lieutenant :
    D. L. MITCHELL (911102). 26th Mar. 1960.

Flight Lieutenant to Squadron Leader (Supplementary List):
    1st Jul. 1967 D. L. MITCHELL (911102).

Retirement
    D. L. MITCHELL (911102). 25th Jan. 1973.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

This is fantastic, Peter, thank you so much for such a prompt and detailed response.

Not sure what Resmorah means but am assuming that it's your User Name. Also puzzled as to what HTH means.

He had a little oak leaf or two stitched somewhere onto his ribbons which I believe indicates 'Mentioned in Despatches'. Could you advise how I can investigate further, please?

Also, do you know what 'Supplementary List' against Sqn Ldr means?

Thanks again and kind regards,

Kim MITCHELL

Thanks

Kim, Hi

Correct, ‘Resmoroh’ is my User Name (or call-sign as many of us would call it). It derives from RESearch into the Met Office Roll Of Honour – which is how I came to be involved with this Forum many years ago!

HTH = Hope This Helps. There are other ‘short-forms’ – TIA = Thanks In Advance, BTW = By The Way, IIRC = If I Remember Correctly, NOK = Next Of Kin, etc, etc.

Agree the Oak Leaf on ribbons usually indicated MiD. I can’t get a MiD for yr Father to come up on the LG. I don’t know if the ‘Valuable Service . . .’ is similarly displayed.

If you Google ‘RAF Supplementary List’, then go to the Thread (on another Forum!!) called ‘Project Sirius’ you will see a Post from “Old Duffer” (who appears from time to time on this Forum, and is an expert!) which gives a concise and succinct account of the difference(s).

Your Father’s RAF Record of Service can be obtained from RAF Cranwell – Google is your friend. You, as NOK, can access the full documents!

Good luck

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Once again, Peter, many thanks. And TFTA - thanks for the acronyms!

Excellent leads and I'll be on to them soon.

TTFN,

Kim

Thanks

regarding the log books, as you can imagine, they took up a whole lot of space so in 1959, aervice personell were asked to ask for theirs back and those that were not retrieved were destroyed.

See the RAF museum website. found via Google search
    http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...-logbooks.aspx

So, unless you know that your father once did have his log book after the war, then its gone. Unless its in the small list retained, we do have the list of names somewhere on teh forum.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Many thanks for that, Dennis.

I imagine that he might have retained his logbook(s) because - unless things changed - he was flying helicopters at Odiham right up until his retirement in 1973 so I suppose he continued to keep a logbook during those flying years.

Do you know if retiring pilots had to hand their logbook over to the relevant RAF authorities or were they entitled to take it with them into retirement? If he kept it perhaps my stepmother - who we no longer see - may have kept it.

Thanks again and regards,

Kim MITCHELL