Thread: Southern Region Air Traffic Control Centre

Thanks

Default Southern Region Air Traffic Control Centre

Hi all, I would like to ask if anyone can help me with info about this unit? I know that in early 60s it was base at Uxbridge and that is all.

I am interested mostly in following information:
    1. was it strictly organization for RAF air traffic or for both including civilian one too?
    2. what was its task and responsibility?

I was told there was as one part also AIS Air Information Service which was collection information about airfields, air events, etc. and solving complains about low level flying etc. Anyone can help me with more info about this department?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel, Hi from a cold, wet, windy, UK

I am not certain, but I think that the southern UK ATC services (Civil & Military) were at RAF West Drayton (You will get a lot of info by Googling it!). It was, at one stage, the London Air Traffic Control Centre (LATCC). There was a military presence which was known as LATCC(Mil). Malcolm’s rafweb site will give some more W Drayton history. No doubt the Air Tragic experts will be along shortly with the details.

Again, I am not certain about AIS, but we used to get military ‘En Route’ docs (giving the latest details about many of the airfields used by the RAF around the world) from No 1 AIDU (Aeronautical Information Documentation Unit) which used to be at RAF Ruislip and moved to RAF Northolt. I think these little (A5? sized) booklets were published about every 6 months (UK, Europe, Med, Africa were the ones I remember.)

HTH

Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Pavel
    The Southern Air Traffic Control Centre was based at RAF Sopley until the mid sixties when it transferred to RAF West Drayton. It was a joint Civil/Military organisation - the major staffing being civilian, as stated above by Resmoroh. I was an Assistant/Controller there from 1978 - 1993. For more info on Sopley, suggest you Google "RAF Sopley"
    Hope this helps
    Andy Wis

Thanks

Hi Andy
    I think you are a bit off track here. Unfortunately I am moving house soon and much of my records are packed away but, just from memory (and I was at RAF Sopley for 3 months in 1971) Sopley did not close until the mid 70s (74/75?). It was, in the jargon of the day, a JATCRU (Joint Air Traffic Control Radar Unit - the 'Joint' meaning Civil and Military). The civil element provided a radar service for traffic above FL245 in the S and W of the UK.

At that time the procedural side of the ATC service was provided by the London Air Traffic Control Centre at West Drayton, colocated with RAF West Drayton. Prior to that it was the Southern Air Traffic Control Centre which was located on the north side of Heathrow, between the Perimeter Road and the A4, west of the tunnel. The move took place in two main moves with the procedural controllers moving in the late 60 s (68/9?) and the radar later (70?).

Prior to that ... I believe that the the Southern Centre was indeed at Uxbidge but can't confirm the dates at the moment. I have a feeling that a more ... er ... senior ex Atco may be along with more on this subject before too long.
    Sorry if this is a bit complicated Pavel.
    Chris

Thanks

Hi all,

many thanks for your comments. It seems to me I have to check the files in TNA anyway to make this clear:-)

Pavel

Thanks

Hello. I am new to this forum so forgive me if I get any procedures wrong! I was stationed at SRATCC RAF Uxbridge for about 6-7 months during winter 1965. It had, I believe, two main functions. One was to guide RAF aircraft across the Heathrow flight paths and the second (with which I was primarily involved) was as the centre for locating the origin of any distress calls made by aircraft in the South of England. This was well before the concept of GPS and was achieved through a process of triangulation. Basically this consisted of receivers operating on both the VHF and UHF distress frequencies which received the Mayday or Pan calls from the aircraft. I cannot remember where precisely the receiver stations were, but I believe one was in East Anglia, one in Wales and one in the Midlands. In the Control Room there was a large wall map of the South of England (from the Midlands downwards) and when a signal was received three green beams of light would converge on the aircraft's location enabling the Controllers to instigate Search & Rescue procedures. Data was sent from the three stations to RAF Uxbridge on telemetry links and the system was manufactured by Plessey. There was an identical system for the North of England & Scotland but I have no specific knowledge of this.

Thanks

Hi Mike,
    welcome aboard and thank you very much for your post!
    As I would like to ask you for some more details, would you be so kind and contact me off board? You can find my email adress under Send Email after click on my nickname.

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Default Southern Air Traffic Control Centre & Canberra WT328 07 May 1956 SOS Question

Hello Pavel

An undated (late 1950s according to dated docs in other illustrations) Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company Ltd., book I have, mentions the "Southern Air Traffic Control Centre" at London. I attach a couple of scans from the Marconi book I have.

I have also got a 1966 book of simple maps illustrating:-
    a) Three Flight Information Regions, showing London, Preston and Scottish.
    b) Air Traffic Control Centres [indicating London ATCC; Preston ATCC and Prestwick ATCC], with Altimeter setting stations.
    c) Control Zones, London, Southampton, Channel Isles, Birmingham, Manchester, Ronaldsway (IOM), Scottish and Belfast.
    d) Airways.

1955 Flight
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200414.html

I should be interested for any comments regarding an SOS from an RAF aircraft, as I have an RAF Accident Report for Canberra WT328 7th May 1956 in the sea off Shoreham Harbour, from a crewmember's son. The Report stated that around the time of the crash, a trace SOS was received. However it appeared to be dismissed in the RAF Inquiry and I cannot understand why?

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 28th June 2014 at 22:50.

Thanks

Default 1955 New Civil Southern Air Traffic Control London Airport linked to RAF ATC Uxbridge

Further to my last post updated, found this in Flight 25 March 1955, page 401, link:-

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200401.html

According to Flight the new Civil Southern Air Traffic Control Centre was at London Airport and replaced their ATC at Uxbridge. The Southern Air Traffic Control Centre London had an RAF Liaison Unit, which had direct contact with RAF Air Traffic Control at Uxbridge.

Regions
    The [Civil] Southern Air Traffic Control Centre dealt with the Southern area of the UK which is also known as a 'Region', or London F.I.R. (Flight Information Region). The three Regions had ATCC at London (London F.I.R.) being the Southern ATCC; Preston (Preston F.I.R.) and Prestwick (Scottish F.I.R.).

Zones
    One of the maps in my mid 1960s book also indicated London and the areas around major airports such as London had a Control Zone and my Marconi book map shows this as London TMA (TMA = Terminal Control Area).

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 29th June 2014 at 08:13.