Just for exanple what is the correct spelling :

N 3 EF.T.S. or 3 E.F.T.S.

Does it also work for RCAF, RNZAF, RAAF

Thank you

Best regards

Rene

Thanks

Hi Rene,
    I've never seen the first configuration, but have seen 3 E.F.T.S, and also 3 EFTS.
    Alan

Thanks

Rene, Hi,
    It is a bit of a minefield with different countries/organisations having different 'rules'! I was taught that if you are 'initialising' a word - that is just using the first letter - then you should use a full-stop after each letter. Some word contractions (Dr, Prof, etc.) would take a full-stop, but some not!!!!
    You will know that when searching the LG you have to use a full-stop after each initial forename (or the LG will not play with you!). I think that was the ‘rule’ in the 40’s. 50’s, and 60’s, but by the time we come to the 70’s and onwards the use of the full-stop for initialisations and contractions begins to be less used – possibly the use of computers and ‘texting’ may have had something to do with it?!
    Personally, I would think that either is correct, but keep to one format (or the other) in the same document/paper/book. I don’t doubt that English publishers/editors will have different views from their French counterparts!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

In 1960, at Reserve Officer School, it was drilled into me that the RCAF format was ALWAYS "No.1 Squadron" (never just 1 Squadron, which was deemed to be American), while dates followed a specific format (1 February 2014 - NOT February 1 or February 1st). The matter of unit abbreviations was a bit more vague - "Sqn" rather than "Sqdn". Terms like EFTS and OTU were acceptable provided the intended reader was "in the loop" about their meaning - otherwise one spelled them out at least once before resorting to abbreviations.

As time passed, fewer readers remembered or understood these abbreviations, and a few baffled veterans. The term "Y Depot" was a case in point. In the wartime RCAF a "Y" Depot was a place of embarkation for overseas, so one might expect that it would be called an E Depot - except that "E" was already used for Equipment Depots. Another was "KTS" - Composite Training School (because "C" was already used for Communications.

Thanks

Hello

I'd go along Hugh on that one, most documents are "No. 1 Squadron", not "N " which is more "continental". I also see more and more "th" (or st or nd or rd) added to Squadron/unit numbers, like the american way (1st Fighter Group), and not the proper R.A.F. way. I've seen recently that in a poorly researched and written French book about D-Day, and the author was constantly using "th" while pictures of original documents in the book showed the correct numbering system...

Joss

Thanks

And I have just had a formal letter from my bank which is full of acronyms, initialisations, contractions, etc, etc. The only full-stops are at the end of sentences! There are some 'commas' - but not many!!! The 'rules' for the RAF should be in the latest version of the Manual Of Service Writing (can't remember the AP number!!)
    Peter

Thanks

Definitely NOT "st", "th" or whatever after the Squadron number!

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 1st February 2014 at 14:39.

Thanks

Just to add to Hugh's post (which I generally agree with), today I am looking at RCAF Aircraft Record Cards that use both formats: "3 EFTS" and "No. 3 EFTS", both hand written and typed. From memory, I have seen "No. 3 E.F.T.S." in the past, but quite rarely.

But to add to the confusion, the "E Depot" that Hugh referred to is usually written as "No. 1 (E) Depot" in war time RCAF records. But at the same time, what should be "No. 6 (R) Depot" is almost always written as "6 RD". There seems to be some freedom allowed.

As other posters have implied, I shudder whenever I see a Commonwealth unit referred to as the "3rd Whatever". What is wrong with these kids today?

Thanks

And it's even worse with the Marines. 42 Commando, RM, is always known, in speech, as "Four Two Commando"!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Similar with spoken RCAF. No. 412 Squadron could be pronounced as "Four One Two" or "Four Twelve". Never EVER as "Four Hundred and Twelfth".