Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Hill, Tebay gorge?

Thanks

Default Heart Hill, Tebay gorge?

American singer/songwriter Kristina Olsen has a song called Heart Hill, based on a wood in the shape of a heart seen from the M6. Such a wood can be seen in Tebay gorge. The song says that an RAF crash there was witnessed by the pilot's girlfriend, who then planted the wood. The song implies a crash in the 50s (depending just when she wrote the song). I shall ask her for more about the song when she appears at my local folk club on Wednesday night, but can anyone identify the aircraft/pilot from this limited information?

I am only assuming that the wood in Tebay is the one in the song.

Thanks

Hi Graham,

The only crash site I can think this would be is Anson EF935 of 1 AFU which crashed at Hare Shaw, Tebay Fell on 08/01/1945. Interestingly Tebay Gill is in the same area but from my maps I can't find any heart shaped wood.

Another crash in the area is Wellington R1210 of 218 SQN, abandoned on 12/02/1941 and eventually crashed west of Tebay near Bretherdale Common.

My guess would be the Anson. Don't have the crew names to hand unfortunately.
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

My daughter and I saw the wood (if that is what it is) the day after first hearing the song. A meaningless coincidence, I know. It is on the west-facing slope of the gorge, a little way south of Tebay itself. The heart shape is approximate.

Thanks

Hi Graham,

Can you give me a map reference for the wood? or an approx location for it?

Thanks,
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

I'm afraid not: other than it is a little way after the disused railway line joins the mainline. i was driving at the time, so would have to rely on only a vague memory anyway.

It is not next Wednesday but the one after when I can ask the songwriter, but I could raise the query on the folk website Mudcat cafe and see is anyone knows more detail about the song. I'm aware that it might be more a matter of inspiration than hard evidence anyway.

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Graham,

Could it be this vaguely heart shaped wood, on Fairmile Road, to the south of Tebay?
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=Tebay&sll=53.034607,1.68 0908&sspn=12.247015,29.882813&ie=UTF8&ll=54.3968,-2.589726&spn=0.005784,0.014591&t=h&z=16

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Graham,

There seem to be more stories how this wood got its shape.

Found http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/sense_of_place/series2/prog_4_m6.shtml

and a lady called Hilary Wilson has the true story, the website says.

I was unable to open the link, but perhaps others can and hear what the lady has to tell us.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

The lady in the clip is a most apologetic debunker of the stories. She viewed the archives for the area and there had been a plantation since about the 1840s at the spot. The shape was vaguely determined by the terrain and a wall. To listen you need to install Real Player. I have found it too invasive in the past so shall uninstall it now!

There is a far more heart shaped wood on a hill in a winery here
    http://www.ninerwine.com/estate.php. Looks slightly daft but that's California for you.OOps can't believe I just said that. I'm sure it is fine wine though!

Thanks

Thank you all: I'm sure that is the wood my daughter and I saw, and Hilary Wilson's passing reference to one of the stories involving an airman makes it fairly clear that this is the one in the song. I can confirm the link next Wednesday, when I hope to meet Kristina Olsen at my local folk club.

Thanks

An earlier post asked for a grid reference for the wood, so here it is. NY 618004, located on the uphill side of the minor road to the SE of High Carling.

I was passing through on a train bound for Edinburgh and kept an eye out for the wood, I have to say it isn't exactly heart shaped but stood out very clearly.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/