Thread: RAF Routes to Cario Egypt in 1940

Thanks

Default RAF Routes to Cario Egypt in 1940

Hello,

What route would the RAF have taken from the UK say RAF Stradishall (Wellingtons Ic's) , to Cairo Egypt in the dark days of Nov 1940?

Thanks for any help.

Rol
    Last edited by Roundhead; 5th February 2014 at 23:00. Reason: more info

Thanks

This site http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/U...-Med-2-11.html states:

"By March 1941 it seemed to Air Chief Marshal Longmore that his commitments were growing at a rate which the reinforcement routes could not sustain. Malta could be replenished with fighters from time to time when an aircraft carrier was available for the task, but otherwise the Middle East depended for its supply of fighters upon the Takoradi route, and it was by this route also that most of the Blenheims came. Wellingtons, Beaufighters and some Blenheims flew direct or by way of Gibraltar to Malta, and either stayed there or flew on to Egypt. At the terminal port of Takoradi aircraft arrived by sea, either packed in cases and brought in merchant ships, or flown off a carrier."

Takoradi was operating by Nov 1940, but I do not think many, if any Wellingtons flew that route yet.

Mark

Thanks

Rol,

Do you have a particular Wellington in mind? If you have the serial number, I can ask a guy I know who has traced aircraft deliveries from the UK to the Far East. Possibly he could confirm the flying route in 1940.

Many Liberator flights to Gibraltar and Malta, destined ultimately for Egypt or beyond to India, departed the UK from RAF Lyneham.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks

Stradishall was the jumping-off point in 1940-41 for delivery flights of Wellingtons to the Middle East via Malta, routing over France. Some didn't make it. (The Whitleys for Operation COLOSSUS, the Airborne raid on the Tragino Viaduct, also flew to Malta, from where they flew the operation.) The Stradishall Ops Officers' log books in the National Archive have some records of these delivery flights, but not, I think, aircraft registrations.