Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Commander D.S.Jacobs (RCAF) - No. 408 Sqn - May 22-23,1944

Thanks

Default Wing Commander D.S.Jacobs (RCAF) - No. 408 Sqn - May 22-23,1944

Help!
    Wondering if anyone can help with the following details:
    1) I read that Lancaster LL723 was shot down by a night fighter. If so who?
    But I also read an account in a 408 Squadron Association newsletter that recounted how someone saw the aircraft hit by flak in the open bomb bay and explode. They were specific that it was the W/C's aircraft but they were equally specific in saying that it was "O" for orange which is not what I have seen referenced elsewhere.
    2)Where exactly/approximately did the aircraft come down? Again, I have different locations.
    3)Does anyone have an up to date crew list? I gather there were omissions in "They Shall Not Grow Old."
    Sincere thanks again gents.
    Bob

Thanks

Hi Bob,

Chorley claims the aircraft was shot down by a night fighter, however Theo Boiten's book does not have a match.
    The crew were;
    W/C D S Jacobs DFC RCAF
    F/Sgt J P Young RCAF
    P/O M Henderson
    F/L T R McDougall DFC & Bar RCAF
    F/O J B Dallyn RCAF
    F/O P M Hughes
    F/L J R Hanson DFC RCAF
    F/O L E Morgan RCAF
    F/O W G Philpot

All were KIA.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi Bob,

I forgot to add they came down at Westrup. a village on the north side of Lippe ans 4 Kms ESE of Haltern.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hi John,
    Your crew details match mine so that is good to know.
    Thanks for your quick check of Chorley and Theo's book.
    Sincere thanks,
    Bob

Thanks

Default Lanc Lost

G'day

According to the squadron ORB's, the Commanding Officer's Lancaster s/n LL723 was coded EQ*H

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    That is what I saw referenced in "No. 6 Group Bomber Command: An Operational Record."
    I was quite chuffed to see the moving account in the newsletter, but alas it does not fit.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Thanks

Hello gents,

Interesting thread -I wonder if there is any further information available re. the time of the crash of LL723? And could I get a scan of the account of the demise of this Lancaster, or could it be reproduced here on the forum?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hello,

C/10005 F/O Lancelot Eric MORGAN RCAF, was an Australian serving in the RCAF. He has an undigitsed A705 Casualty file at the NAA. Might be worth a look!

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...arcode=1074611

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th February 2014 at 10:11.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay in answering.
    Thanks for the info gents!
    Bob

Thanks

Default Ll723 w/c d s jacobs

Hi all
    Working on a publication for the Historical Society of Haltern am See and writing about crash No. 15 Lancaster LL723 I came across your Forum. LL723 wasn’t shot at by Flak because the Flak Search Light crew (60 cm search lights Unit) near Seebad Haltern am See (Bernhard Strickling almost 17 years old in May 1944 and Helmut Froböse) the light Flak station and the Heavy Flak did not shoot at the high flying Bomber during 22/23 May 1944 over Haltern because the bomber a/c was chased by a German Fw 190 Nightfighter in accordance with “Wilde Sau.” Suddenly the Flak men saw a coloured flash at the quite high flying a/c probably the moment one engine got off, this fell into the nearby lake Halterner Stausee and was picked up out of the water later that month. The plane came down with an incredible terrifying strong noise and the Flakcrew hide themselves till it was over and afterwards the area was spreaded with fire caused by the small incendiaries that were laying around in a wide area. The little barack of the Flak Unit was blown off his fundaments and placed a few inches aside by the explosion as the a/c hit the ground. Looking around they already found one dead airman and when they saw him again the next morning his flying boots were stolen. The LL723 came down exactly at the turning-point of a cableway for sand digging and exploded on impact with his bomb-load at about 2 hrs am on 23rd May 1944. Victoria Clark a daughter of J. R. Hanson did visit Haltern am See and the crash site in June 1994 after a long search for the place where her father died. She wrote a book about it. Her father Hanson had left a letter for her in case he should not survive the war and Victoria got this letter later. It was a very emotional letter for her with details she hadn’t expected before. The info about this is also written in the German book “Stunde Null und Neubeginn 1944-1946” by the Local Historical Society of Haltern am See. (February 1995)
    Peter Monasso
    Dutch Air War Historian 1940-1945
    www.crashmuseum.nl