Thread: Are, or do you know a Family Member or Veteran Bomber Boy? Air Forces Memorial Runnym

Thanks

Default Are, or do you know a Family Member or Veteran Bomber Boy? Air Forces Memorial Runnym

Hello all,

I am Stephanie de Rooij, a postgraduate Public History student at the Royal Holloway, University of London.
    For a marked academic exercise I am making a radioprogramme. This will not be broadcasted or put on-line, it will only be marked by my teachers at the History department.

In my radioprogramme, I want to shed light on the Air Forces Memorial in Runnymede. It commemorates 200.000 soldiers without a known grave.
    At this moment, I am hoping to find a relative who has a family member who is commemorated at the Air Forces Memorial in Runnymede.
    I would like to interview a family member upon the loss of a dear one, who does not have a known grave. How it felt when the letter was received during the war, and the quest for answers after.

Please let me know if you are a family member, or maybe a veteran yourself! Or maybe you know someone who is?

The interview will be approximately an hour, and will be taped on a mini device.

You can contact me either on my e-mail address, or by telephone: 07405899177.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,
    Stephanie

Thanks

Stephanie, Hi & Welcome,
    I think there may be those on this Forum who may be of assistance to you!
    BUT - you need to get your nomenclature right, or you will not get anywhere. Those on the Runnymede Memorial were NOT, basically, 'soldiers' (although some actually were soldiers!). Soldiers belong to the Army, like Sailors belong to the Navy. The vast majority were 'airmen' (and/or 'airwomen').
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 6th February 2014 at 16:38.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

And 20,456 are commemorated, not 200,000.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

David, Hi,
    And as they say in the media game "Never let facts get in the way of a good story"!
    Stephanie, you have a hard row to hoe, but it helps if you've done your homework first!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Runnymede Memorial Cooper's Hill

Hello Stephanie

I presume you have seen the piece in the book The Battle of Britain Then and Now, an After the Battle Publication? Not sure of the publication date, but I have found photocopies of pages 300 and 301 (from one of the early editions). I should also have the double page picture spread too from the same publication, but unfortunately I have mislaid it!

The land was generously donated for the memorial around 1949.

I expect you already know that the Runnymede Memorial is looked after by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, 2 Marlow Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 7DX and they ought to have some information and history.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/...EDE%20MEMORIAL

My father told me that my Grandfather was officially "Missing" so I visited Runnymede in the 1990s and could not find him recorded at Runnymede. According to the Undertakers records they did not find him in August 1940 either, when they only recorded two of the Whitley crew. However, he was "commemorated" eventually at Fawley Church instead, after repeated pressure by our family in 1941 to the AM and IWGC to have his name added to an IWGC cross at Fawley.

Someone on here will have a family member recorded on the Memorial at this very beautiful hill location, overlooking the Thames and Windsor.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 6th February 2014 at 19:37.

Thanks

Hello Stephanie

I have a relative, my uncle, who shows on the Runnymede Memorial. He was the rear gunner in a Lancaster which went missing on the night of 2/3 August 1943. I also have details of the rest of the crew who are also on the memorial. The aircraft was missing for 70 years but has recently been found in a field to the south west of Hamburg. If you would like to contact me regarding the story please do.. You can use the forum to contact me by pm or email. Tony

Thanks

I was contacted directly by Stephanie on 23rd January via my website with the same request that has been posted here. I took the time to write a response (sent on 23rd Jan) with some advise and also pointed out that the memorial commemorates airmen and not soldiers.

To date I have not received any response back.

Linzee