Thread: Help sought in locating my fathers sqdn

Thanks

Default Help sought in locating my fathers sqdn

Hi, I hope I have posted in the right location, apologies if I have not.

My name is Graham Williams, I will try to keep this brief, and get to the facts quickly.

I have been searching for my real father, I have located his widow, only to find out he passed away in 2009, after speaking with her, she has only been able to give me limited information, what I have is not much to go on, all the usual sites does not bear any fruits, and I have tried them all, so here is my next shot in the dark, if anyone can help, I will be forever grateful.

His details.......

Flt Sgt Kenneth Roland Brice Taylor.
    Served on Lancasters as an air gunner.
    On my birth cert, it says in ref to him.... a.c2 no. 1869967

I wish to find out his Sqdn he served, and where he may have been stationed.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction.

Apart from one photo in his uniform, that is all the info I have.

Thank you very much.

Thanks

Hi
    Just a small bit of info. The service no. that you quote from your birth certificate,1869967, was in a batch issued at RAF Cardington during May 1943. This was almost certainly his point of entry into the RAFVR to be kitted out with uniform etc before going on to basic training for the RAFVR prior to his aircrew training. He may have entered for war service as a volunteer for aircrew or have volunteered on entry and been accepted and graded. All aircrew were volunteers. His rank would have been A/C 2(Aircraftman 2nd Class) and he would have been promoted to Sergeant when he attained his Flying Badge and Flt. Sgt later. It is possible that he trained as a Wireless operator with gunnery training added but flew as an Air Gunner once he was on a squadron although by 1943 the training could have been just for Gunnery without any radio training.Your photo may show a Flying Badge above his left breast pocket and this is likely to have the letters AG within a wreath with a single wing showing diagonally up and to the left.
    If you can show that you are a blood relative then you could apply for his service records which I believe are currently held at RAF Cranwell in Lincolnshire and these should give details of his postings etc.
    All the Best
    Dick

Thanks

Dear Graham
    It would be worth getting hold of his service record. This is kept at RAF Cranwell. If you go to http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/supp...icerecords.cfm
    you will find various options.
    If you apply yourself it will cost you 30, but if you ask his widow to apply you will get it free. Read both forms. the next of kin one has the address.
    Once you have his service record you will be able to look through ORBs etc
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Hi Dick,

Wow, you have come up with what I have been looking for, I have looked at the photo and the badge is there, although I can't see what the letters are, the single wing is indeed there, you have given me a massive push forward, and I can't thank you enough, I will now proceed with the information you have given, and I will post up a conclusion so you can see a result of your info.

Thank you one again.

Graham.